Police are facing a new trial, investigating after the death of Eliza McClain

Denver – Denver, a police department in the suburb, faced a new set of investigations and legal problems on Tuesday, as a 23-year-old black man was put into a chokehold with officers to investigate the case of Eliza McClean’s death last year Went, and other run- ins with people of color.

McClain’s parents sued the Aurora Police Department and paramedics, who injected their son with a sedative, said they were demanding both accountability for the loss of a “beautiful soul” and giving the message For that “racism and cruelty have no place in American law enforcement.”

Shortly thereafter, the Colorado Attorney General announced a civil rights investigation into the department, the first protests under a new police reform law following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Attorney General Phil Weiser’s office said it is looking into whether Aurora officials have been depriving people of their constitutional rights for several weeks and this is different from the investigation into McClain’s death, which the government ordered Polis in June Was.

They are among several investigations by the Aurora Police that have resented a racial counter-protest over racial injustice and police brutality.

In addition, on Tuesday, the city manager and the new police chief said an outside firm would review the department, including its policies and practices on the use of force and discriminatory policing. The city council has already begun investigating Aurora’s policies on using force and ketamine, the sedative injected into McClain.

Police Chief Vanessa Wilson said in a statement last week, “We embrace this opportunity for change and are committed to evolving for the good of our profession, our community and our residents.”

The city declined to comment on the trial of Sheenen McClain and Laven Mosley, who accused the police of a long-standing pattern of racism and cruelty.

He alleges that his son was unlawfully stopped on the street and later sought to justify McClain’s aggressive behavior by authorities accusing him of assault, and in a police report stating that he was with a gang Was connected, took a cognizance.

McClain’s parents said their son, a massage therapist, was a creative and peaceful man who played his violin to cats in shelters to reduce his loneliness and not fly a fly.

On August 24, 2019, police stopped McClain as he walked away wearing a ski mask and headphones after making a 911 call, calling him a “sketch”. His family said that he wore a mask because he had a blood condition that caused him to get cold easily.

Police body-camera video shows an officer getting out of his car, going to Mecklen and saying, “Stop right there.” Stop. Stop. … I have the right to stop you because you are suspicious. ”

In the video, Officer revolves around McClain, who is shocked, and repeats, “Stop. As McClain tries to escape his grip, the officer says,” Relax, or I change the situation I am going. ”

Other officers join McClain to rein in him, and he begs them to go, saying, “You guys started arresting me, and I was stopping to listen to my music.”

Police put him in a chokehold, and paramedics gave him 500 mg of ketamine to calm him down, which the lawsuit says was 140 pounds (65 kg) too much for anyone to weigh.

Police say McClain refused to stop walking and fought back when officers tried to take him into custody and that he thought he was trying to get an officer’s gun, which the lawsuit disputes. .

McClain suffered a cardiac arrest and was later removed from life support. A prosecutor said last year that there was not enough evidence to charge the officers, which the state attorney general is now reviewing.

The lawsuit states that the two officers reported that the three of them put their weight on McClain after a choking. An official estimated the mass weight to be over 700 pounds (320 kg).

The lawsuit comes a week after the police tried to place four black girls on the ground and handcuffed two of them while investigating a suspected stolen car. It was later discovered that the robbery had not taken place.

Wilson, who was the interim chief, took a permanent job last week, saying he is committed to rebuilding trust and wants to empower police to think if they are acting on partisanship.

She described McClain’s death as tragic and said she was “angry and disappointed” with the girls’ treatment. He took some steps to hold the officials accountable.

After handcuffing the girls, they requested an internal investigation. A prosecutor is also reviewing the officers’ actions.

As interim chief, he told police in response to McClain’s death that they no longer needed to contact someone who was committing a crime.

When police reappear the chokehold used on McClain, he swiftly proceeded to shoot three officers, including an officer involved in stopping McClain.


Nieberg is a core member of the Associated Press / Report for the Statehouse News Initiative of America. AP reporter Thomas Peppert contributed to this report.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.