ROSEMONT, Ill. – Bellator has his second simultaneous champion of two divisions: Patricio Freire.
Featherweight champ Freire solved his grudge with lightweight champion Michael Chandler, something like that. But it is a sure bet that this rivalry can be repeated in a short time. Freire got a knockout victory at the 1:01 mark of the first round, but Chandler immediately protested the arrest.
Freire (29-4 MMA, 17-4 BMMA), who raised 10 pounds for the fight, took the 155-pound title from Chandler (19-5 MMA, 16-5 BMMA). And in his post-fight interview with John McCarthy, Freire made sure to tell the booing fans "(Expletive), I'm the champion."
Freire joins light heavyweight and heavyweight champion Ryan Bader as the only simultaneous two-division starters in Bellator's history.
The lightweight title fight was the Bellator 221 main event at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois, near Chicago. The main card was transmitted in DAZN after the preliminaries in MMA Junkie.
Freire hurried to the center of the cage immediately, but Chandler met him before he could attack quickly. He threw a combo 15 seconds, then another with a right hand that looked down the side of Chandler's head.
Freire landed on the right and put Chandler on the canvas. The Brazilian jumped quickly and hit punches to the ground until referee Rob Madrigal stopped the fight.
Chandler only slightly protested the loss with McCarthy later. He said: "Pitbull" left me. … I really was not getting much damage down there. But when I was getting up, the referee was stopping the fight. "
The updated Bellator 221 results include:
- Patricio Freire def. Michael Chandler by knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:01 – to win a lightweight title
- Douglas Lima def. Michael Page by knockout (punches) – Round 2, 0:35 – welterweight grand prize semifinal
- A.J. McKee def. Pat Curran by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jake Hager def. T.J. Jones through submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:36
- Tywan Claxton def. James Bennett via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2: 09 / li>
- Rob Fenicle def. Bryan Bautista through the presentation (heel hook) – Round 1, 1:42
- Khuukhenkhuu Amartuvshin def. Adam Ward by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Christian Rodriguez def. José León through submission (arm bar) – Round 4:35
- Robert Morrow def. James Bochnovic by knockout (punches) – Round 1, 1:18
- Chris Gonzalez def. Charlie Radtke by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cris Lencioni def. Adil Benjilany through the presentation (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:55
- Jason Belyew against Dave Latoria ruled there was no competition (unintentionally low blow) – Round 1
- Jesse Bazzi def. Joey Diehl by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josh Streacker def. Scott Writz by knockout (punches) – Round 2, 3:33
For full coverage of Bellator 221, see the MMA Events section of the site.