Charlotte – The Panthers released their first unofficial depth chart of the season on Monday. It is worth emphasizing that the depth chart is not official and subject to change not only against the Raiders on Sunday but for the entire season’s competition.
But for discussion, here are some elements:
– At least three of the Panthers’ 2020 draft picks are listed as starters: defensive tackle Derrick Brown, defensive end Yatur Gross-Matos, and cornerback Troy Pride Jr.
– Safety Jeremy Chin is essentially on the first team as well as on defense. There is an “or” between Chin and linebacker Jamrine Carter with the linebacker position. Most teams employed three wide-receiver structures as their base offense, with Chin expected to see significant playing time.
– While Pride is among the first team defenses on the depth chart, the Panthers have not officially announced the starter. With Eli Apple’s reserve / injured, the Corn Elders could also compete for snacks in the corner. In addition, the newly acquired Rasool Douglas has started 18 games in the last three years with the Eagles. Alder and Douglas are the second team players on the preliminary depth chart.
– The backup quarterback also has an “or” designation between Will Grier and PJ Walker. The role of No. 2 can change from one week to the next, depending on who performs well in practice.
– From left to right, the initial offensive line reads like this: Russell Okung, Dennis Daly, Matt Pardee, John Miller and Taylor Moton. Greg Little, 2019 second-round pick, is a backup left tackle. Veteran Michael Scofield is listed as a right right guard, but no one is named behind Daly, Schofield could potentially fill the left guard if needed. Daly is currently dealing with an ankle injury.
– DJ Moore and Robbie Anderson are two first team wide receivers as Carolina also lists fullback Alex Armah as the starter. But Curtis Samuel will be out there often when the Panthers use three wideouts. Seth Roberts is the second team-wide wide receiver.
– Chris Manhartz Ian Thomas slots in as the first team tight end with the second, but both players will play a lot.
– Farrow Cooper, an All-Pro returner for the Rams in 2017, is listed as both the No. 1 kick returner and punt returner. Carolina has Moore as a backup punt returner and Trenton Cannon as a backup kick returner.