OnePlus finally brought Android 11 to the OnePlus 7T series earlier this week, and now, OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro are doing the same, as the company announced on its community forum. The update adds all the perks you would expect from the OxygenOS 11, excluding the same feature that has yet to make the cut on the OnePlus 7T series: the always-on ambient display.
OnePlus had some issues with the ambient display on the 7 and 7T series during beta testing, so it remains an Open Beta exclusive for now. Other than that, you’re getting everything OnePlus added to OxygenOS 11: the controversial UI redesign, a dark mode change, and some smaller camera updates. There are also the new notification channels and privacy improvements that Google introduced with Android 11.
Unfortunately, OnePlus keeps skimping on the security patch version, a strategy we’ve criticized time and time again. The Android 11 build is rolling out with the February security patch, which is on track to be out of date with two months in just a few days.
- Update to OxygenOS 11 version
- Fresh new visual UI design gives you a more comfortable experience with various detail optimizations
- Optimize the stability of some third-party applications and improve the experience
- Android security patch updated to 2021.02
- GMS package updated to 2021.01
- Since this is the Android 11 version update with many new features, the update time may be longer. Wait for the update to complete
- The camera user interface has been updated and some of the function paths have been optimized to offer more convenient operation
- Newly added HEVC codec to smoothly reduce video storage size, capture and record more without compromising quality
- Recently added access to a third-party application to share the image by pressing and holding it in the preview
- Recently added quick access to recording mode by pressing and holding the shutter button and sliding the button, you can easily zoom in or out
- Recently added time lapse mode playback screen to show actual shooting time
- Environmental display
- Newly added Insight watch style, a joint creation with Parsons School of Design. It will change according to the phone usage data (to configure: Settings> Personalization> Clock on ambient display)
- Newly added canvas feature that can automatically draw wireframe image based on lock screen photo on your phone （Path: Settings – Personalization – Wallpaper – Canvas – Choose photo preview and it can be generated automatically)
- Dark mode
- Added hotkey for dark mode, turn down quick settings to enable
- Support auto turn on function and customize time range (path: Settings – Display – Dark mode – Auto turn on – Auto turn on from dusk to dawn / Custom time range)
- Play space
- Newly added game toolbox for convenient Fnatic mode switches. Now you can choose three forms of notifications: text only, notice and block, just for your immersive gaming experience
- Newly added quick reply feature in a small window for Instagram, WhatsApp and Telegram (enable it by swiping down from the top right / left corners of the screen in game mode)
- Newly added contact error prevention feature. Enable it, swipe down from the top of the screen, click and the notification bar will appear.
- New shelf interface design, the interface is more clear
- Added weather widget, smarter animation effect
- Compatible with Story function, automatically form weekly videos with stored photos and videos
- Optimize gallery loading speed and image preview is faster
The update is rolling out in stages as usual, so it may take some time until it reaches your device. If you want to speed up the process, we can only recommend the third-party Oxygen Updater app. Downloads the latest OTA file and guides you through the installation process.
The article previously wrongly stated that the OnePlus 7 series received an always-on display option with the update, which is incorrect. We update it to eliminate the error.