South Korea's armed forces are planning to set up an armed drone combat unit to strengthen their defense capability against North Korea, reports the Yonhap News Agency, based in Seoul.
"The Army plans to establish a special organization to lead the development of drones, establish a standard platform and expand the dronebot program by function," a South Korean army officer told Yonhap. "To begin with, we will launch a combat unit with robot drones next year and use it as a 'game change' in the war." Dronebot is a combination of the words "drone" and "robot". The drone unit, which will be launched in 2018, will be used for surveillance and will also be ready to move to launch attacks.
This revelation comes about a week after North Korea tested its most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile so far – Hwasong -fifteen. The missile reached a height of approximately 2,800 miles (more than 10 times higher than the International Space Station) and flew for approximately 50 minutes.
Pyongyang's latest missile test was quickly condemned by the international community, including the United States, which warned that North Korea would be "completely destroyed" if the war broke out. Subsequently, on Saturday, the National Security Adviser of the White House H.R. McMaster raised the alarm when he said that the potential of an armed conflict with North Korea "increases day by day". The next day, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham called the families of the approximately 28,500 soldiers in South Korea to be evacuated due to the threat of war, but the US military. UU He has said that there are no plans to do so.
Meanwhile, US and South Korean air forces began their biggest joint drill on Monday, involving 230 aircraft and about 12,000 US military personnel. UU The state media in North Korea complained that the drill was a "serious provocation" and that the president "Donald Trump" was "crazy". The "incessant large-scale war games" of the United States and South Korea are "creating a situation in which a nuclear war can erupt at any moment," Pyongyang added.
The US military defended the drill, which is known as Vigilant Ace and claims to be a show of strength to North Korea, citing that it occurs annually.
North Korea has refused to give up its nuclear ambitions despite intense pressure and a series of economic sanctions from the international community. Trump also recently placed North Korea back on the list of sponsors of state terrorism in the United States.
It is believed that the Kim Jong Un regime has between 25 and 60 nuclear weapons, but military and nuclear experts do not believe that it has acquired the technology to successfully attack a target on the US mainland with a ballistic missile. nuclear point. That said, the unification minister of South Korea recently warned that Pyongyang could be a year away from completing its nuclear arsenal, as its capabilities are developing at a "faster than expected" pace.