Microsoft just revealed a host of promising new indie games during the ID @ Xbox Showcase, and one of the most colorful and interesting was Nobody Saves the World from the Guacamelee developer DrinkBox Studios. At first glance, the game may seem like just another dungeon-hacking RPG, albeit with a nice art flair, but DrinkBox is doing some fun things to mix up the formula. First of all, you’ll eventually be able to freely swap between 15 different shapes, including classic RPG classes like Ranger and Rogue, as well as some less typical shapes like a bodybuilder, mermaid, or horse. Plus, say goodbye to level grinding – progression comes from completing missions, not hitting enemies in the head for XP. You can watch the debut trailer for Nobody Saves the World, below.
Looks like lots of fun. Do you need to know more? Here’s the official description for Nobody Saves the World via the game’s Steam page …
From the developers of Guacamelee! 1 + 2 comes Nobody Saves The World, a new twist on action RPGs, where you play as many different character forms, each with their own unique gameplay mechanics. Complete missions to discover and trade between more than 15 different and varied forms. Mix and match skills in unique and interesting ways to find and complete even more difficult missions and unlock more powerful forms. Explore a vast overworld, clear procedurally generated dungeons in an effort to push back The Calamity and save the world!
- You are nobody – As Nobody (yes, you play as a character named Nobody), you find a magic wand that allows you to switch to different Forms to clear dungeons, solve puzzles and complete missions!
- Searching, not grinding – Player progression and new abilities are obtained exclusively by completing missions, not by defeating monsters. Missions range from “Complete a Dungeon” to “Poison Baddies” to “Cheer on a fellow rabbit lover.”
- Missions unlock new ways – Level up and unlock new shapes by completing missions. Each new form has specific strengths and weaknesses and new abilities to experiment with.
- Combine shape skills – Customize your Shapes by equipping skills from other Shapes: Mix and match skills in fun and unexpected ways!
- Evolving dungeons – As you get stronger, procedurally generated dungeons will increase in difficulty and complexity to keep you on your toes!
No one saves the world on PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X / S “soon.”