Nigerian President says disagreement at Boko Haram delays the release of Chibok girls


NIGERIA, Lagos (CNN) – Negotiating talks between the Nigerian government and the Boko Haram militants about the release of the remaining Chibok girls have been delayed, said President Muhammadu Buhari.

A disagreement between the members of the terrorist group is responsible for the breakdown of the negotiations, Buhari said in a statement on Friday.

"Unfortunately, the negotiations between the government nt and Boko Haram have suffered some unexpected setbacks, mainly due to the lack of agreement between their kidnappers." Buhari said.

This statement comes as Nigeria celebrates the fourth anniversary of the kidnappings in which militants seized 276 girls from a boarding school in the city of Chibok, in the state of Borno, sparking global outrage.

Some of them released last year after negotiation talks between the Nigerian government and Boko Haram.

However, more than 100 Chibok girls remain in captivity four years later.

The Bring Back Our Girls group, which campaigned long ago for the safe return of girls, marked the anniversary on Saturday with a march in Lagos and a conference given by Tunde Bakare, a prominent cleric in the capital of Nigeria, Abuja

President Buhari said that although it has taken so long to secure his release, the government was doing everything it could to free the remaining Chibok girls from their kidnappers.

He said that the return of more than 100 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram from Dapchi, a city in the Yobe state of Nigeria, should rebadure parents in Chibok that their daughters will return home.

"We know that this is not the news that your parents want to hear after four years of waiting, but we want to be as honest as possible with you.

" However, this government is "Buhari said.

Boko Haram has kidnapped more than 1,000 children in Nigeria since 2013, a UNICEF report said on Friday, the most recent abduction of 110 girls from the city of Dapchi in Yobe state on February 19.

All of the girls now they have reunited with their families after they were released by the terrorist group last month.

However, one of them Leah Sharibu remains in captivity because she allegedly refused to renounce her Christian faith.


Source link