Nagorno-Karabakh: Deadly battle spread to Asia on fifth day


Azerbaijan and Armenia refused international appeals to negotiate, deepening fears of a war.

Massive shelling between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces has taken place around the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, as fighting ensued on the fifth day, with both sides refusing to back down and calling attention to international calls for talks.

Fierce clashes between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the years in the Brexit region were ignited on Sunday, leaving scores on both sides dead.

The Azerbaijan general prosecutor’s office said on Thursday that Armenian shelling killed a civilian in the morning in the city of Terer, about 90 km from Nagorno-Karabakh, and badly damaged the train station there.

Separately, the country’s defense ministry said its forces “crushed artillery attacks against Armenian army bases in occupied territories”.

According to the news agency AFP report, two explosions were heard around midnight in the town of Stefancart in Nagorno-Karabakh, also known as Khankendi, AFP news agency reported that residents claimed to have drones on the city was attacked.

Ethnic-Armenian authorities in the area described the overnight situation along the front line as “tense” and said the two sides exchanged artillery fire.

“The enemy attempted to regroup his troops, but the Armenian forces suppressed all such efforts,” he said.

Armenian authorities also claimed that two French nationals working for Le Monde were injured on Thursday during the shelling by the Azeri army in the Armenian town of Martini, west of the Nagorn-Karbakh region.

The journalists were being taken to the hospital, officials said in a statement.

Nagorno-Karabakh’s declaration of independence from Azerbaijan sparked a war in the early 1990s that killed 30,000 people, but it is still not independently recognized by any country, including Armenia.

Armenia and the Brexit region announced martial law and military mobilization last week, while Azerbaijan imposed military rule and curfew in large cities.

Negotiations to resolve the conflict have stalled to a large extent since the 1994 ceasefire agreement. France, Russia and the United States have mediated peace efforts as a “Minsk group”, but the last major push for a peace deal collapsed in 2010.

Both sides claimed to inflict heavy losses on the opposing forces in the conflict bearing the danger of drawing in regional powers Turkey and Russia, which support the opposing sides.

Yerevan, which is in a military coalition of Moscow-led former Soviet countries, has sent northern Syrian traders over Turkey to stop Azerbaijan’s military in the conflict, stating that members of illegal armed groups, including Syria and Libya were worried. Was being deployed for the fight. The claims were denied by Azerbaijan.

Yerevan also said earlier this week that a Turkish F-16 flying in support of Baku’s forces had dropped an Armenian SU-25 combat aircraft, but Ankara and Baku denied the claim.

Al Jazeera’s Bernard Smith reported from the Armenian capital that there were fears that skirmishes could lead to a full-scale war.

“There have already been clashes in the border areas of Armenia and Azerbaijan beyond Nagorno-Karabakh,” Smith said.

Al Jazeera was unable to independently verify claims made by both parties.

Despite mounting international pressure, Armenian Prime Minister Nicholas Pashinian and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev have both rejected the idea of ​​negotiation, even calling for a halt in the battle’s Mt.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron issued a most recent call for a complete halt to fight in Nagorno-Karabakh in a telephone conversation late Wednesday and said they would help to resolve the conflict Diplomats are ready to intensify efforts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.