A human rights group said on Tuesday that two soldiers who came away from Myanmar’s military have testified on video that they were ordered to kill and rape Muslim Rohingya villagers.
The comment appears to be the first public admission by soldiers to engage in military-directed genocide, rape and other crimes against the Rohingya in a Buddhist-dominated country, and the group Fortite Rights suggested that they are under investigation by international Can provide important evidence for. Criminal court.
More than 700,000 Rohingya have fled Myanmar to neighboring Bangladesh since August 2017, in order to escape, Myanmar’s army launched a clearance operation following an attack by a Rohingya armed group in Rakhine state.
Myanmar’s government has denied allegations that security forces committed gang rapes and murders and burned thousands of homes.
Fortiff Rights, which focuses on Myanmar, said the two army privates fled the country last month and are believed to be in the custody of the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands, which is investigating violence against the Rohingya.
According to the Fortiff Rights, there are 33 serving in different light infantry battalions, and Jove Ning Toon, 33, and 37, who mention the names and ranks of 19 direct criminals of the Myanmar army. Are, as well as six seniors. Commanders … He claimed to have ordered or contributed to atrocity crimes against the Rohingya.
|US law firm says Myanmar commits genocide against Rohingya|
Mayo Vin Tun said that the commander of the 15th Military Operations Center ordered to shoot “see you all and hear you all” when raiding Muslim villages. He said that in one operation he killed and buried 30 people: “eight women, seven children and 15 men and the elderly”.
The commander ordered his unit to “exorcise all kalars” – a derogatory name for the Rohingya and he shot into the men’s foreheads and killed their bodies in a hole. He also raped the women before killing them and he admitted to committing a rape.
UN agencies and human rights organizations have extensively documented atrocities committed against the Rohingya by Myanmar security forces. The International Court of Justice agreed last year to consider a case that Myanmar committed genocide against the group. The court proceedings are likely to continue for years.
The report states that the men were placed in the custody of the Arakan army group, which is now fighting Myanmar’s government army in Rakhine state, when they entered and were later taken to The Hague, Netherlands, where they were witnesses As could be present. Face trial.
A spokesman for the Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC) said the men were not kept in custody.
“No, these reports are not true. We do not have these people in ICC custody,” spokesman Fadi al-Abdallah said.
In a filing against Myanmar at the ICC, Canadian lawyer Pyam Akhavan said two people had appeared at a border outpost requesting the government’s protection and confessed to the mass murder and rape of Rohingya citizens in 2017 was.
“All I can say is that those two individuals are no longer in Bangladesh,” he said.
Khine Thu Kha, a spokesman for the Arakan army, said the two men were deserters and were not held as prisoners of war.
He did not further state where the men were now but was told that the group is “committed to justice” for all victims of Myanmar’s military.
Myanmar has repeatedly denied accusations of genocide, stating that in 2017 its military operations were targeting Rohingya rebels who attacked police border posts.
Speaking from The Hague, Al Jazeera’s Step Wessen said the matter had been stalled for a long time because Myanmar is not a signatory of the Rome Statute, the basis of the ICC. But Bangladesh being a signatory, the ICC has ruled that it has jurisdiction over the matter
“A part of the crimes in Myanmar was also happening in Bangladesh. For example, forcible deportation, where hundreds of thousands of ethnic Rohingya were sent to Bangladesh. That is why the case has intensified since November.” said.
“The court has ordered the investigation to continue and if we have these two ex-servicemen … if they say they were involved and have given a very detailed account of what they did and who was with them, then this One big step for this investigation. “
‘Reliable and strong’
Antonia, Executive Director of Legal, Worldwide, said that if the evidence would be reliable, it would be a huge push for investigation.
“While the ICC has not commented on whether they have [the men] Stories in custody [of the soldiers] It is said to be credible and verifiable, ”she said, explaining in the statements that the murders and rapes have been ordered.
“when they [the soldiers] There may be very few in the ranks, we hope more will come forward. He stated that a clear chain of command was shown.
The ICC is investigating crimes against the forcible deportation of Rohingya to Bangladesh as well as harassment and other human rights violations.
“The office does not publicly comment on speculation or reports about its ongoing investigation, nor does the office discuss any aspect of its investigative activities,” A. The statement from the ICC prosecutor’s office said.
Myanmar is also facing charges of genocide at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, although that body does not bring cases against individuals or listen to witnesses.
In 2015, prior to the alleged 2017 genocide, Al Jazeera’s investigative unit revealed the internal workings of the Myanmar regime, drawing on documents from the Myanmar military, an unpublished UN report and other government paperwork.
According to experts, those documents were evaluated by Yale University Law School and the International State Crime Initiative at Queen Mary University, London.