Myanmar MPs say that army guards its residence after the coup

Yangon, Myanmar (AP) – Hundreds of members of Myanmar’s parliament were confined inside their government residence in the country’s capital on Tuesday, a day after the military overthrew the military and senior politicians including Nobel laureate and de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi Taken into custody

One of the MPs said that he and 400-some parliamentarians were able to talk to each other inside the premises and communicate with their constituencies by phone, but were not allowed to leave the housing complex in Nyapitav. He said that the police was inside the premises and the soldiers were outside it.

The lawgiver said that politicians, including members of the Democracy Party and Suu Kyi’s National League for various smaller parties, spent one night worrying that they were taken away but they were not well.

“We had to stay awake and alert,” said the lawmaker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, out of concern for his safety.

All MPs in the country gathered morning MPs in the capital for the inauguration of the new parliamentary session and followed the coup days of concern. The military said the seizure was necessary because the government had not acted on military claims of fraud in the November elections – in which Suu Kyi’s ruling party won parliamentary seats for a majority – and because it continued to move despite the election Permitted coronovirus epidemics.

On Monday, an announcement on military-owned Mywuddy TV stated that Commander-in-Chief Senior General Min Aung Hling would be in charge of the country for a year. Late Monday, the Commander-in-Chief’s office announced the names of the new cabinet ministers. The 11-member cabinet is made up of former government generals, former military generals and former advisers of the former government headed by former General Thein Sein.

The coup is a dramatic backslide for Myanmar, emerging from decades of strict military rule and international isolation that began in 1962. It now presents a test for the international community, which destabilized Myanmar while it was under military rule and was then enthusiastically embraced by Suu Kyi’s government as a sign that the country was finally on the road to democracy was. US President Joe Biden threatened new sanctions the country had previously faced.

Roads on Tuesday in Yangon, the country’s largest city, were quieter than usual but taxis and buses were still running and there were no signs of heavy security.

The English-language Myanmar Times controlled the state of emergency, while other state-owned newspapers showed front-page photos of Monday’s National Defense and Security Council meeting, with newly appointed acting president Mynt Sway and Min Aung Healing among other military. Officers attended.

The military has ensured that its actions are legally justified – a part of the constitution has been drafted that allows it to take control in times of national emergency – though Suu Kyi’s party spokesperson At the same time, many international observers have said that they have been given funds for the coup.

The takeover comes as a shocking fall from power for Nobel Peace Prize winner Suu Kyi, who had been under house arrest for years as he tried to push his country towards democracy and then his party in 2015. It became the de facto leader after winning the election.

During her years in custody, Suu was a critical critic of the military. But after becoming a politician from the icon of democracy, he needed to work with the generals, who did not completely relinquish power despite allowing elections.

While the 75-year-old remains popular at home, respect for Suu Kyi’s generals – Rohingya are going so far as to defend their bitterness on Muslims that the United States and others have labeled a massacre – has earned its reputation abroad Has tarnished

The coup was met with international condemnation and several countries called for the release of detained leaders.

Biden called the military’s actions “a direct attack on the country’s transition to democracy and rule of law” and said Washington would not hesitate to reinstate the sanctions.

He said, “The United States will stand for democracy wherever this attack takes place.”

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called the development a “severe blow to democratic reforms”, according to his spokesman. The Security Council will hold an emergency meeting on military actions – perhaps on Tuesday, according to Britain, which currently chairs the council.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.