Home / Entertainment / MSNBC reverses the decision to cut ties with Sam Seder

MSNBC reverses the decision to cut ties with Sam Seder



In the days following his decision to cut ties with collaborator Sam Seder, MSNBC says he has heard the negative reaction and, in a surprising move, reversed course. Seder, which houses The Majority Report is now "welcome" in the air of the network, EW confirmed, after Seder was previously informed that it had no additional "scheduled appearances" until its contract expired. in February. .

"Sometimes you just make a mistake, and that's what happened here," MSNBC president Phil Griffin said in a statement. "We made our initial decision for the right reasons, because we do not think rape is a fun thing to joke about, but we've listened to the comments, and we understand that the point Sam was trying to make in that tweet was really in line with our values. although the language was not, Sam will be welcome in our air. "

The initial decision not to renew the Seder contract as a collaborator was made following the reappearance of the right-wing media of a controversial joke that the progressive commentator and radio presenter tweeted in 2009 about accusations of rape against Roman Polanski. (The tweet has already been deleted). "I do not care about Polanski, but I hope that if my daughter is ever raped it's because of an older and truly talented man with a great sense of staging," Seder tweeted in 2009. The comments became controversial after Mike Cernovich, an activist in favor of the right Trump, will recirculate them.

MSNBC was criticized for what many saw as reading the comments in bad faith, for the framing of Cernovich and not for the Seder, which was to satirize the points of discussion of the liberals who refrained from condemning Polanski . (In 1

977, Polanski was accused of drugging and raping a girl of 13. He pleaded guilty to the charge of legal violation) Everything in the presenter Chris Hayes broke with his network the decision, vocally tweet support of Seder

In an interview with EW on Tuesday, Seder harshly criticized MSNBC's decision to cut ties with him and defended the tweet, saying the only thing he regretted was that he deleted it. "We tune in with the news companies to give us an idea of ​​the grounded assessment of what the truth is," he said. "If MSNBC can not make an assessment of what the words mean, but is intimidated by a man who has a reputation … If a media outlet can not assess what the reality is at that moment, then there is only & # 39; false news, and this society has big problems. " Seder also said that he had not been formally notified of the final decision of MSNBC outside of a voicemail that was not followed, which led him to wonder about the status of his role in the network. (He is employed on a payment scale by appearance, and is in his third annual contract).

Accordingly, Seder expressed satisfaction with MSNBC's decision to keep it on the network. "I appreciate the thoughtful reconsideration of MSNBC and its willingness to understand the cynical motives of those who intentionally misrepresented my tweet for their own toxic and political purposes," he said in a statement. "We are experiencing an important and expected moment of empowerment for victims of sexual assault and recognition of their perpetrators, and I am proud that MSNBC and its staff have given a clear example of the need to do well."


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *