Home / Others / Mother: she refused attention to the daughter who got cold in the hospital gown

Mother: she refused attention to the daughter who got cold in the hospital gown

The mother of a mentally ill woman who stayed outside a Baltimore hospital on a chilly night in a flimsy dress and socks says the 22-year-old daughter was denied the attention of medical professionals and left in dangerous conditions for life on the street.

Cheryl Chandler said she only learned of the situation of her missing daughter on the night of January 9 when she found a viral video filmed by a passerby enraged by the way she was treated. [19659002LahijadeChandlerRebeccafueescoltadafueradelhospitalporpersonaldeseguridaduniformadoconsuropadecallemetidaenbolsasdeplásticoyladejaronenunaparadadeautobúsalairelibrecontemperaturasalairelibrede30gradosTeníaunaheridaenlafrenteyestabavisiblementedesorientadatropezandoconsubatadehospitalysinpoderformularningunapalabraenlafríanoche

At a press conference held on Thursday in the office of a lawyer, Chandler described her daughter as a young woman who has been loved intensely struggling with mental illness since he was 16. In the last year and a half, she has gone through a couple of residential facilities for clients with mental illness.

She said Rebecca, who has health insurance, was "denied her legal right to receive clinical care" that the CEO of the University of Maryland Medical Center has publicly stated that she received that night.

"My daughter did not choose to be the face of mental illness." I did not choose to be an example of the impact of a failed mental health system. She was a person in need of services, "Chandler said through tears, adding that she was" eternally grateful "to psychotherapist Imamu Baraka for shooting the cell, a video showing her daughter's condition.

J. Wyndal Gordon, The lawyer representing Rebecca said she suffered from an episode of acute psychosis when the institution turned her back on her, claiming that it is a case of "patient dumping," an illegal practice of driving patients away, mostly without insurance. , from emergency rooms.

"Rebecca's condition was going to require a considerable hospital stay to stabilize her. UMMC, believing that it did not have insurance, determined that it was better to return it to the street without treatment and face the consequences of that decision instead of absorbing the cost, "said Gordon.

Dr. Mohan Suntha, president and director University of Maryland Medical Center executive told reporters last week that there were no excuses for what happened to the young woman, but he maintained his medical care, saying that she received treatment and was discharged.

"We firmly believe that we provide adequate medical care to a patient who came to us in need, but where we absolutely fail, and where we have that failure, it is a demonstration of basic humanity and compassion when a patient was being discharged," he said.

On Thursday, the hospital issued a statement saying that its internal investigation had identified a breakdown after the medical discharge point. The resulting results would include making staff responsible and getting external experts to carry out an independent audit.

Suntha, in the statement, said he is confident that his actions "address the root causes of last week's collapse."

But Gordon said he expects a "legal action" for the incident.

Believes that Rebecca should have been detained for 72 hours in order to be properly evaluated. Instead, the hospital left her on the street "unable to speak coherently, defend herself or respond adequately to cold temperatures."

She was involuntarily committed to another Baltimore hospital a day after being discharged from the University of Maryland. Center Midtown Campus and sent to a shelter for the homeless, his family said.

His mother said that Rebecca is now in an undisclosed hospital facility under mental health treatment. Her younger sister, Rachelle, said she was better and read aloud a statement from Rebecca thanking people for their support.

Rebecca's twin sister, Rosslyn, who flew to Baltimore from her home in Texas, cried as she recalled seeing the video showing her beloved sister in such anguish.

"It did not take a genius to see that I needed help," he said, his voice trembling.

David McFadden on Twitter: https: //twitter.com/dmcfadd

Source link