Home / Others / Mom dies after fighting the rare virus transmitted by rodents for weeks

Mom dies after fighting the rare virus transmitted by rodents for weeks

A New Mexican family mourns the loss of a 27-year-old mother who had spent weeks fighting for her life after contracting a rare rodent-borne virus. Kiley Lane, who leaves her 2-year-old daughter, died on April 18 at the University Hospital of New Mexico, where she received intense treatment against Hantavirus and placed it on a machine to help her heart and lung function. [19659004] Lane's symptoms began in January and she assumed it was the flu. Her husband, Kevin, urged her to be checked after she complained of severe stomach pains and nausea. After several different diagnoses, he tested positive for Hantavirus in February and was then flown to the UNHM for treatment.

Hantavirus is a rare disease that is spread by contact with deer mice or their droppings or urine. It has only been documented 728 times in 36 states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Most cases were reported in states west of the Mississippi River. It is fatal in 36 percent of the victims and can not be transmitted from one person to another.


Lane's family documented their battle on a YouCaring page and was optimistic about the treatment involving the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machine (ECMO). It works by supplementing the heart and lungs to pump and oxygenate the body.

"This virus starts attacking your body, it damages your organs," said Julie Barron, Lane's mother, previously to Fox News. "The first thing that happened with Kiley was their lungs, they are in a really critical situation."

Since April 15, the family began asking for prayers on the YouCaring page indicating that Lane's health had worsened. Barron had published on April 17 that family and friends had visited Lane and that the family was helping to take care of their little daughter. A publication on April 20 said Lane was dead.

"Kiley Rianna Terrell Lane left this world and peacefully joined her Heavenly Father on April 18 th surrounded by her loving husband, mother, sister and family," The message read, in part. Kiley bravely fought in a battle to survive a deadly virus for weeks at the University Hospital of New Mexico in Albuquerque.Kiley and the family have been comforted by their generous outpouring of love.This has been a heartbreaking moment, but their thoughts and prayers have been felt and sustained. "


Lane's family had previously said that "He is not sure where he might have contracted the virus, but I wanted others to realize the dangers this can cause. "

"It's not like I'm rummaging in a dumpster or around infected rodents," Barron told Fox News previously. "She was doing her normal daily routine: sweeping the porch, cleaning a box with a paper towel, everyone has the impression that" that will never happen to me ".

A monument is set for April 28.

Jennifer Earl of Fox News contributed to this report.

Source link