As part of its partnership with Microsoft, Samsung announced during the launch of the Galaxy Note 20 in August last year that your phone app would soon offer support for running multiple apps on Windows. Following the announcement, Microsoft began rolling out the feature for users who opted for the Windows Insider program in November. This feature has recently become available to all users with select Samsung smartphones.
According to analysis Otero DiazThe experience of multiple apps in your phone app, the Principal Program Manager at Microsoft, is now available to all users running Windows 10 May 2020 update or later. To run multiple apps from your Samsung device through your phone on Windows, there are some prerequisites. These include the following:
- Latest Windows 10 May 2020 update or later. It is recommended that you update to the latest version of Windows 10. You can check and update for updates by going to Settings> Updates and Security> Title.
- Your Windows PC has a recommended 8GB of RAM
- Latest version of your phone app on your Windows app with version 1.20102.132.0 or higher
- Your phone companion app to link Windows with your Samsung device. Make sure you have version 1.20102.133.0 or higher. You can download the app from the Google Play store
- You also need the latest link to the Windows service with version 2.1.05.2 or higher. It can be downloaded from the Galaxy Store
- Both the phone and the PC must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network
While Microsoft mentions that you need an Android 11 device to enable multi-app support on your phone, not all devices running Android 11 are supported. On a separate page, Microsoft lists all supported smartphones that currently include only a set of Samsung devices. Here is the complete list:
- Samsung galaxy fold
- Samsung galaxy note 20 5g
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Samsung galaxy s20
- Samsung Galaxy S20 +
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
- Samsung galaxy s20 ultra
- Samsung galaxy z flip
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G
- Samsung galaxy z fold 2g 5g
- Samsung galaxy note 10
- Samsung galaxy note 10+
- Samsung galaxy note 10 lite
How to run multiple Android apps on Windows using your phone:
- Once you meet all the requirements mentioned above, open your phone application on your Windows PC
- The app will ask you to choose between Android or iPhone. Select android and click continue
- Next, you will be asked to install / update the latest version of your phone companion app on your Samsung smartphone by visiting this link (www.aks.ms/yourpc).
- After installing / updating the companion app on your phone, confirm the same on your phone app on your PC and open the QR code
- On your supported Samsung smartphone, head to Settings> Advanced Features and link to Windows
- Enable the service and tap on Add Computer and use the phone’s camera to scan the QR code displayed on your PC on your phone app.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account and wait for confirmation so that your phone can connect to your PC.
- Now you can see your phone on your phone pc app
- To get access to all the applications installed on your phone, go to the Applications section on the left
How to interact with the application:
You can interact with the app using your PC’s mouse, trackpad, keyboard, pen, or touch-enabled screen. If you are using a mouse and keyboard, here are some suggestions:
- A single click will behave like any single touch / tap interaction
- Right click anywhere on your phone screen to navigate to the previous page
- Click and hold will behave like a tap / hold interaction
- Click and hold to select content
- Mouse scrolls to move vertically or horizontally between pages