Try the highest 25 groups within the nation in keeping with the Amway School Soccer Coaches Ballot.
USA TODAY Sports activities
Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett reacts after throwing the game-winning landing within the come-from-behind 39-38 win over Penn State.(Photograph: Aaron Doster/USA TODAY Sports activities)
Saturday marked the ultimate October weekend within the Mbadive Ten soccer schedule, and whereas many eyes within the state of Michigan had been fastened on Ann Arbor and Evanston, the proverbial cream rose to the highest in Columbus.
Ohio State’s comeback win over Penn State was the largest tilt to date within the convention, placing the Buckeyes within the driver’s seat for the Mbadive Ten title sport. They’re going to possible face Wisconsin, which is 2 video games away from Northwestern and Nebraska within the Mbadive Ten West.
Extra Mbadive Ten information:
Michigan State’s protection had Mark Dantonio’s belief coming into OT on Sat.
The highway to Indianapolis is just not utterly clear for Ohio State, although, with a visit to Iowa, a house sport towards Michigan State and a go to to Michigan nonetheless to return. However the Buckeyes have received six in a row and have probability to be within the high 4 of the primary School Soccer Playoff standings after they’re unveiled Tuesday.
So, now that we have tipped our hand as to who’s No. 1 on this week’s rankings, right here they’re in full:
Free Press sports activities writers George Sipple, Nick Baumgardner and Jeff Seidel break down the large information objects from Michigan’s 35-14 win over Rutgers on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017, in Ann Arbor.
14. Illinois Combating Illini (2-6, final week: 14): Look, there isn’t any strategy to sugarcoat this: Illinois is just not good. Lovie Smith’s rebuilding challenge continues because the Illini had been by no means actually within the sport within the 24-10 loss to Wisconsin.
13. Indiana Hoosiers (Three-5, final week: 9): Keep in mind after they had been hanging with Ohio State within the season opener? Properly, after losses to U-M and MSU, Indiana coughed up a lead late at Maryland to lose, 42-39, and is winless within the convention.
12. Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Three-5, final week: 13): Positive, they weren’t terribly spectacular towards Michigan. Nonetheless, they’re final in complete offense within the Mbadive Ten and third to final in complete protection.
11. Purdue Boilermakers (Three-5, final week: 11): No such Boilering up for Purdue, who’ve misplaced their final three convention sport, together with the final two towards Rutgers and now Nebraska. However nonetheless have an outdoor probability at bowl eligibility with Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa and Indiana the remainder of the best way.
Free Press sports activities writers Chris Solari and Shawn Windsor and Lansing State Journal columnist Graham Sofa break down Michigan State’s 39-31 triple-overtime loss at Northwestern on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017.
10. Minnesota Golden Gophers (Four-Four, final week: Eight): An honest comeback try at Iowa on Saturday, however finally got here up quick, 17-10. Their lone Mbadive Ten win has been towards Illinois, so a little bit of a deduction there. This week, the go to Ann Arbor for the Little Brown Jug battle.
9. Maryland Terrapins (Four-Four, final week: 10): The bump up is perhaps extra for the cool wanting uniforms on Saturday as oppose to the comeback win over Indiana. Nonetheless, 42 factors is spectacular. However the Terps have the worst scoring protection within the convention, permitting 37 factors per sport.
Eight. Nebraska Cornhuskers (Four-Four, final week: 12): Reality be advised, there’s not loads of differentiation between, say Purdue and Nebraska. And would not you understand it, Nebraska edges Purdue by one level on Saturday, therefore, the bump up. However a late, game-winning drive will often rating you brownie factors.
7. Iowa Hawkeyes (5-Three, final week: 7): Not a spectacular effort, however simply sufficient to carry of Minnesota and inch nearer to a bowl sport. Tough stretch forward: house for Ohio State and at Wisconsin.
4c. Northwestern Wildcats (5-Three, final week: 6): Sure, extra of the identical from final week. However what can we are saying? Here is the logic: we nonetheless give the nod to MSU over Michigan, however Northwestern topped the Spartans in triple additional time. Pardon our fence-straddling, however we’re going with a tie.
4b. Michigan Wolverines (6-2, final week: 5): Whereas Jim Harbaugh tries to play issues off, all of us noticed what occurred Saturday towards Rutgers. Brandon Peters ought to be beginning at quarterback till additional discover. However can U-M run the ball in addition to they did Saturday towards Minnesota?
4a. Michigan State Spartans (6-2, final week Four): Powerful to bump you down while you go into triple additional time, so we’ll hold MSU right here for now. However count on a lift in the event that they discover a strategy to knock off the Nittany Lions (midday, Fox).
Three. Penn State Nittany Lions (7-1, final week: 1): Undefeated no extra after shedding the lead after which the sport at Ohio State. They’re No. 2 in scoring offense and scoring protection within the convention.
2. Wisconsin Badgers (Eight-Zero, final week: 2): The quietest undefeated group within the nation and the lone excellent group within the Mbadive Ten. The resume would not get far more troublesome till perhaps Michigan (Nov. 18) and the presumed Mbadive Ten title sport.
1. Ohio State Buckeyes (7-1, final week: Three): If you beat the No. 2 group within the nation, you are going up within the energy rankings. However they weren’t as dominating as they have been, they usually have a number of land mines left on the schedule, beginning Saturday at Iowa.