Meghan Markle’s privacy decision to be appealed by British newspaper editor


A British newspaper editor announced Tuesday that he plans to appeal a judge’s ruling that he invaded Meghan Markle’s privacy by publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father after her 2018 marriage to the prince. Harry.

In written submissions released as part of a court hearing Tuesday, Associated Newspapers attorney Antony White requested permission to appeal, saying a proposal to overturn Superior Court Judge Mark Warby’s ruling “would have a real prospect of success.” .

In response, the Duchess of Sussex’s attorneys demanded that the publisher turn over the letter and destroy any electronic copies or notes in it. They also asked the judge to order the Mail on Sunday to remove the five articles from its website and to publish a front page statement about the 39-year-old’s legal victory.

“The defendant defiantly continues to do the same acts that the court has declared to be illegal,” said Ian Mill, attorney for the former American actress.

MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY’S INTERVIEW ON OPRAH WINFREY: EVERYTHING WE KNOW

The British tabloid published a private letter that Meghan Markle (left) wrote to her father, former Hollywood lighting director Thomas Markle (right).
(Getty Images / Mega)

“The defendant has not provided his copies of the letter, so the threat to infringe and misuse his private information remains real and, inexplicably, the defendant has yet to remove the offending articles from MailOnline.”

The former “Suits” star previously sued Associated Newspapers for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement in five February 2019 articles in the Mail on Sunday and on the MailOnline website that reproduced large portions of a letter he wrote to her. to his father, Thomas Markle.

Last month, Warby ruled that the publisher had misused the Duchess’s private information and infringed on her copyrights. He said Markle “had a reasonable expectation that the content of the letter would remain private.” It also concluded that the publication in the newspaper of large portions of the letter was “manifestly excessive and therefore illegal”.

In his ruling last month, the judge said a “limited trial” should be held to decide the “minor” question of whether Markle was “the sole author” and sole copyright holder of the letter. It is expected to take place in the fall.

WHY MEGHAN MARKLE WEARED PRINCESS DIANA’S BRACELET DURING THE OPRAH SIT: REPORT

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry currently reside in California with their son Archie.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry currently reside in California with their son Archie.
(Getty)

At the time of Warby’s ruling, Markle broke his silence.

“After two long years of litigation, I am grateful to the courts for holding Associated Newspapers and The Mail on Sunday accountable for their illegal and dehumanizing practices,” the 39-year-old said in a statement sent to Fox News last month. . .

“These tactics (and those of its sister publications MailOnline and Daily Mail) are not new; in fact, they have been going on for far too long without consequences,” he shared. “For these media, it is a game. For me and for many others, it is real life, real relationships and a very real sadness. The damage they have done and continue to do is profound.”

“The world needs high-quality, fact-verified, reliable news,” Markle continued. “What The Mail on Sunday and its associated publications do is the opposite. We all lose when misinformation outsells the truth, when moral exploitation outsells decency, and when companies create their business model to profit from pain. from the people.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Duchess of Sussex is expecting her second child.

The Duchess of Sussex is expecting her second child.
(Getty)

“But for today, with this comprehensive victory in both privacy and copyright, we all win. We now know, and hope it creates a legal precedent, that you cannot take someone’s privacy and exploit it in a privacy case. , as the defendant has blatantly done over the past two years. I share this victory with each of you, because we all deserve justice and truth, and we all deserve better. “

“I want to particularly thank my husband, mother and legal team, and especially Jenny Afia for her tireless support throughout this process,” the Duchess concluded in her statement.

Markle married Harry, 36, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, at Windsor Castle in May 2018. Their son, Archie, was born the following year.

In early 2020, the couple announced that they would be leaving their royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said were unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes from the British media. They recently bought a home in Santa Barbara, California, and are expecting a second child.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source link