Meat-eating bacteria infect five people through exposure in the Long Island Sound


According to Connecticut health officials, five Connecticut residents were hospitalized with meat-eating bacteria after going into the water in this year’s Long Island Sound.

State health officials had warned shoreline residents of the Vibrio vulnicus infection, one from July and four from August – in an alert on Saturday.

“The identification of these five cases in two months is very concerning,” state epidemiologist Matthew Cartter of the Department of Public Health said in a statement.

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Health, there have been no deaths.

All five patients between the ages of 49 and 85 had pre-existing wounds or were injured during swimming, crabbing or boating before becoming infected. Two patients suffered infections in their bloodstream, and three suffered severe wound infections.

“This suggests that Vibrio bacteria may be present in salt or saltwater, or near Long Island Sound, and people should use caution,” Cartter said.

In Connecticut, there are only seven other cases since 2010.

One in five people die from infection, with a weakened immune system and the greatest risk for the elderly.

The Department of Public Health recommends staying out of saltwater or saltwater if someone has an open wound or cut, including recent surgery, piercing, or tattoos. Alternatively, wash the cuts with soap and water and cover them with a waterproof bandage before going swimming.

According to the CDC, some of these types of infections can lead to necrotizing fasciitis – an infection that caused 24-year-old Amy Copeland to swim in a rivulet after cutting her leg, leg and arm and cutting her leg at the zip line. . One Brooklyn told us that in 2010 he got an infection from a garbage bag at Prospect Park. The CDC states that necrotizing fasciitis can be caused by more than one bacterium.