A McDonald's Employee & # 39; s Corp. in Kentucky could have The officials of the Madison County health department are warning people who may have been infected by the food handler, who could infect consumers of hepatitis A, according to local health authorities , causing a new fear to the fast food giant.
was working at a restaurant in the city of Berea, south of Lexington, on March 23. McDonald's is cooperating fully with local and state research agencies, the health department said on its website.
"Hepatitis A is caused by viruses that are transmitted from person to person through fecal-oral contact," the agency said. "The risk to customers who ate at McDonald's is very low, however, people who ate there on March 23 should see signs and symptoms of hepatitis A from April 7 through May 12."
The news, which previously reported WYMT, a local subsidiary of CBS, sent McDonald's shares to the minimum session on Thursday. After rising to 1.3 percent earlier in the day, stocks fell into negative territory.
Rates of hepatitis A have fallen sharply since it was vaccinated in 1995. In 2015, the most recent year cited by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 1,390 cases were reported to the agency. Eating something that has been in contact with the feces of an infected person is the main means of transmission in the United States. UU., Says the CDC.
The restaurant industry has been rocked by E. coli and norovirus outbreaks in recent years, especially at Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. The burrito vendor is still struggling to recover from a chain of diseases transmitted by food, which crushed their sales and the price of the shares.
– With the assistance of Joshua Fineman