Augusta, Ga. – Record scores on whiteboards at Augusta National. Trembling roars for Tiger Woods over the past nine.
Francesco Molinari blocked the rumor on a delirious day in which nine players shared space on Saturday's league table. He emerged with another rock-solid round that looked spectacular only on his scorecard.
Molinari escaped from four consecutive birds in the back nine for a 6-under 66 that kept Woods and all the others within striking distance of a Sunday unlike any other in the Masters, an early start due to the storms predicted for the afternoon of Sunday, with Trios coming out of tees first and tenth. The leaders said goodbye at 9:20 a.m.
How to watch round 4 of the Masters Tournament 2019
- What: The final round of the 2019 Masters Tournament
- When: April 14th
- Where: Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, Georgia
- TV channels: CBS, with live coverage starting at 9 a.m. ET
- Online: Live early coverage on Masters.com
- Live leaderboard: CBS Sports
Live coverage on TV and online.
The tight Sunday format put Woods in the final group at the Masters for the first time in 12 years, two shots back. Woods has won his 14 majors when he had at least part of the lead in the final round. It brings impulse to this major, having sustained in the last two.
"It's been a while since I was in dispute here," Woods said. "But, again, the last two majors count for something, I've been in the mix with the chance to win major championships in the last two years, and that helps."
Molinari played with Woods on the last day at Carnoustie last summer and outscored 14 times the biggest champion in the middle of a clbadified table to win the British Open.
This is different.
This is Augusta National, where the gallery that applauded with each little bird of Woods made it clear that it hurt to see the champion four times slip a green jacket over a red shirt for the first time since 2005.
"He obviously loves this place and he's playing a great golf," Molinari said. "Then, I realize that tomorrow will not be easy and, as I said, I can give my best."
Woods has not played in the final group in a specialization since he gave up a two-shot lead to Y.E. Yang at Hazeltine in the 2009 PGA Championship
He arrived on Saturday with three consecutive birdies on the front and finished with three birdies in his last six holes for a 67, his best score in the Masters since the final round in 2011.
Next to them is Tony Finau, who played this year with two good ankles after a self-inflicted injury a year ago. He was part of a historic Saturday as one of the three players to shoot at 64.
Tee times and groupings
- 7:30 a.m .: Aaron Wise, Marc Leishman, Si Woo Kim
- 7:41 a.m .: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Kevin Tway, Patton Kizzire
- 7:52 p.m .: Henrik Stenson, Hideki Matsuyama, Cameron Smith
- 8:03 a.m .: Jordan Spieth, Tommy Fleetwood, Corey Conners
- 8:14 a.m .: Jason Day, Bubba Watson, Lucas Bjerregaard
- 8:25 a.m .: Justin Thomas, Phil Mickelson, Jon Rahm
- 8:36 a.m .: Adam Scott, Patrick Cantlay, Thorbjorn Olesen
- 8:47 a.m .: Louis Oosthuizen, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler
- 8:58 a.m .: Matt Kuchar, Justin Harding, Xander Schauffele
- 9:09 AM: Brooks Koepka, Webb Simpson, Ian Poulter
- 9:20 a.m .: Francesco Molinari, Tony Finau, Tiger Woods
- 7:30 a.m .: Kyle Stanley, Viktor Hovland, Charley Hoffman
- 7:41 a.m .: Kevin Kisner, Bryson DeChambeau, Takumi Kanaya
- 7:52 p.m .: Rory McIlroy, Keegan Bradley, Gary Woodland
- 8:03 a.m .: Jimmy Walker, J. B. Holmes, Charles Howell III
- 8:14 a.m .: Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Kevin Na, Alvaro Ortiz
- 8:25 a.m.: Patrick Reed, Devon Bling, Keith Mitchell
- 8:36 a.m .: Tyrrell Hatton Satoshi Kodaira, Andrew Landry
- 8:47 a.m .: Bernhard Langer, Rafael Cabrera Bello, Eddie Pepperell
- 8:58 a.m .: Branden Grace, Martin Kaymer, Haotong Li
- 9:09 AM: Emiliano Grillo, Zach Johnson, Billy Horschel
- 9:20 a.m .: Trevor Immelman, Alex Noren