Buenos Aires – An Argentine judge forced a private clinic to administer chlorine dioxide, which is used as a powerful disinfectant for a coronovirus patient who died in a case on Monday, “Doctors commit a scandal”. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other agencies have warned that consuming chlorine dioxide, seen online as a “miracle cure”, could be dangerous to human health.
Many Americans were hospitalized to consume cleaning agents, with President Trump suggesting that COVID-19 could be injected with disinfectants for the treatment of COVID-19, and chlorine-based products on at least three people Were charged with criminal offenses to sell which were remedies for the disease.
The patient’s step-son brought a legal bid last Thursday, the day his mother died of COVID-19, for a compound given to her seriously ill husband.
A judge granted the request the same day and ordered the Otamendi y Miroli Clinic in Buenos Aires to administer the substance prescribed by the patient’s physician.
The clinic unsuccessfully appealed against the ruling, and gave the substance to the man while insisting that it would not be responsible for any negative consequences.
The patient, a 92-year-old man who was in critical condition from the virus, died on Monday, the family’s lawyer confirmed.
The FDA warns that intake of chlorine dioxide products can “endanger a person’s health” against COVID-19, has no effective effect and is believed to cause respiratory and liver failure, among other bad effects goes.
The Pan American Health Organization, the Argentine Society of Infectionology and the country’s National Administration of Drugs, Foods and Medical Devices have also issued warnings against the use of chlorine products for the treatment of COVID-19.
The judge ruled that giving the treatment was in danger of causing no “serious harm” to the clinic, but, on the contrary, to “avoid worsening” of the patient’s condition.
Medical doctors have advocated the decision.
“Judicial Abolition and a Scam”
Omar Sood, president of the Society of Infecology of Argentina, said, “To decide whether a doctor has to administer a substance for which there is no scientific evidence is really worrying, especially when it is in intravenous form. “
“It is not a judge’s decision to administer a drug he does not know to a patient. It is not his role.”
Ignacio Maglio, a lawyer with the Argentine health NGO Fundasen Huaspeed, said the case was judicial excesses, “judicial aberrations and a scandal”.
Chlorine dioxide is used to disinfect medical and laboratory equipment, to treat water at low concentrations, or as bleach.
The family’s lawyer told television channel C5N that his client would sue the Otamendi Clinic because they held it responsible for the patient’s death, as it “delayed treatment.”
“The man died due to infection in the hospital and delayed treatment,” the lawyer said.
Argentina announced on Monday that it would roll out a new COVID-19 therapy, developed locally by scientists using serums extracted from horses that developed antibodies after injection of coronavirus virus Huh.
The serum, developed by biotech company InMunova, was tested on patients for the clinical trial phase in 18 hospitals, and will now be distributed to hospitals and clinics under an exclusive license granted by the watchmag of ANMAT Medicines, Argentina.
InMunova director Fernando Goldbaum said that serum helps patients by suppressing viral proliferation, which takes the body time to prepare its defensive system.
The developers of the therapy said it reduced mortality by up to 45 percent.
The laboratory of the Argentine Biological Institute is producing about 12,000 treatments per month, according to a press statement.
Argentina, which has a population of 44 million, has recorded more than 1.7 million cases of coronovirus and about 44,500 deaths.