Louisville paid $ 12 million to Breo Taylor’s family, improving police practices

Six months after emergency medical worker Bryo Taylor was shot and killed by police in his home, the city of Lewisville has agreed to a major settlement with Taylor’s family Wrongful death case. The settlement includes a $ 12 million payment to the family along with an array of police reforms, Louisville Mayor Greg Fisher announced at a press conference on Tuesday.

Referring to Taylor’s mother Tamika Palmer, Fisher said, “I can’t begin to imagine Ms. Palmer’s pain and I am deeply saddened by Brio’s death.”

Taylor was shot multiple times as Louisville authorities issued a warrant on March 13 at her home to search for illegal drugs. No medicine was found. The lawsuit filed in April accused the police of negligence and excessive force.

Taylor, a 26-year-old black woman, died in several police shootings across the country, including the Black Lives Matter movement and a nationwide push for police reform and racial justice.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump called the $ 12 million settlement “historic”, but also called for holding the officers involved in Taylor’s death criminally accountable.

“We are not going to let the life of Bron Taylor go into disarray,” Crump said.

Bryo taylor
Bruna Taylor was shot and killed during a police search in Louisville, Kentucky.

The protesters have for months demanded that the officers be indicted, and many celebrities joined in their call for justice. Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron is investigating the officers’ actions, but has refused to offer a timeline for a possible charging decision.

Speaking on Tuesday, Tamika Palmer called the officers charged.

“As important as it is today, this is the beginning of getting full justice for Bryona,” Palmer said.

Attorney Lonita Baker called the settlement “overwhelming”, but called it only part of a “multi-layered” push for justice for Taylor. She said the financial settlement would have been “non-negotiable” without significant police reform, “and that is what we are able to do here today.”

Fisher said the reforms retained social workers for the department to assist officers on certain response calls; Officers are required to test the drug randomly once a year; And the officers they serve include measures to encourage officers to stay and volunteer.

Fisher also announced changes to the search warrant process, saying commanding officers would now have to review applications for search warrants before officers could seek judicial approval. He also announced the internal investigation process and the implementation of an early warning system, which would track access incidents, civil complaints and investigations to identify officers in need of assistance or training.

Palmer said in a statement, “Bryo for justice means we will continue to save his life in his honor.” “No funding is available, but the police reform measures we were able to pass as a part of this agreement owe so much to my family, our community and Breona’s legacy.”

Fisher said the city is not accepting wrongdoing under the agreement.

Baker called the settlement “the first mile in the marathon” and said the family would continue to insist on holding officials criminally accountable.

Two officers involved in the case have been placed on leave and one, Brett Hankinson, has been fired. In a June letter announcing the commencement of termination proceedings, Interim Louisville Metro Police Chief Robert Schroeder stated that Hankison “wildly and blindly shot 10 shots at Brayo Taylor’s apartment.”

“I think your conduct was a shock to the conscience,” Schroeder wrote. “I am worried and stunned that you have used deadly force in this fashion.”

Police say they knocked and identified themselves before the raid, but according to the suit, Taylor’s boyfriend Kenneth Walker said officers never said they were police before beating him through the door. The gun-running licensee, Walker, said he fired in self-defense because he felt someone was trying to sneak inside, the suit says. One officer was shot in the leg. Louisville police say officers were “immediately met with bullets” and returned to the fire, hitting Taylor several times, but the suit accused the three officers of firing indiscriminately.

The lawsuit accuses police of using flawed information when they obtained a “no knock” warrant related to the drug investigation of Taylor’s ex-boyfriend. The former lover, Jamarkus Glover, was arrested the same night about 10 miles away. According to the suit, no drugs were found in Taylor’s home and neither Taylor nor Walker had any criminal history.

city “No Knock” Warrant Use Banned In June amid public outrage over the matter.

Taylor became a nurse and worked at two local hospitals.