Los Angeles-area officers caught a suspected armed carjacker in an all-day standoff on Tuesday evening
The Los Angeles Sheriff Department said deputies have been searching for the suspect since months ago and, according to Fox 11 in Los Angeles, there is no evidence linking the suspect to the shooting of two sheriff depots over the weekend.
The department said the alleged car driver is a suspected gang member who was armed with a rifle, FOX 11 reported.
The suspect was not detained in Limpwood when he was away from Compton, where the shooting took place on Saturday evening.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva previously told several news outlets that the suspect is not connected to the ambush shooting of two transit deutters in Compton on Saturday. However, KNBC-TV reported that several law enforcement sources said that detectives are rapidly reassuring the suspect, who has led officers in a car chase on Tuesday, which is linked.
During the chase, the suspect allegedly jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a house in the Linwood suburb.
Authorities converged on the city, which runs south from Compton, and evacuated an area during a search. The personnel wearing tactical gear and driving SWAT vehicles also responded.
The Sheriff Department warned residents to stay indoors. The area is on the north side, where both depots were shot while sitting in their patrol car on Saturday evening. Both are recovering.
Despite reports linking the suspects to the shooting, sheriff’s officials have not confirmed anything. Villanueva did not return emails from Fox News and department officials would only confirm that officers were looking for a suspect.
Deputy Juvenita Navarro-Suarez told the City News Service that the department could not confirm whether the suspect was involved with the attack on his fellow duties.
“At the moment, it’s just a carjacking suspicion, but it’s really important that we catch him and give him ID to see if there’s any nexus with the ambush,” she said.
Click here to get the Fox News app
Duties of transit – described only as a 24-year-old man and 31-year-old mother of a 6-year-old boy – graduated from the academy 14 months ago.
They are recovering after surgery in a hospital. A reward of more than $ 300,000 – a mix of county funds and private donations – is being offered for information about the suspected gunman.
Fox News’ Brie Stimpson contributed to this report.