Latest commentary and world news


Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tilley is pictured speaking to the media in Melbourne, Australia in January 2020.
Australian Open Tournament Director Craig Tilley is pictured speaking to the media in Melbourne, Australia in January 2020. Darian Trainer / Getty Images

The controversy over the upcoming Australian Open continues to escalate as Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tilley denies that any player in the tournament has tested positive for Kovid-19, hours after the Victorian government said two The cases were confirmed by the players on the first day.

Telly told reporters at a press conference on Tuesday that one of the seven confirmed cases from three chartered flights in Melbourne was a flight attendant and the rest were part of the entourage. Tiley said he could not comment on the government’s statement and admitted that several players had shown viral shedding suggesting they were already infected.

Players arriving in the Australian state of Victoria are placed in a 14-day quarantine ahead of their Grand Slam matches. Most have been allocated five hours each day to go out and train in strict bio-safe bubbles, but 72 players leave their hotel rooms under strict quarantine rules after testing positive for their flights to Kovid-19 And cannot practice. .

As a result some athletes have expressed disappointment over the situation in which they have found themselves and raised concerns that those who are allowed may have an unfair advantage.

Tilly also addressed allegations from some players who have stated that the risk of strict quarantine was not properly communicated before departing for Australia. He said event organizers were often in contact with groups of players and the idea that they did not know about quarantine policies was “simply not true.”

The tournament director believes that some players may have different experiences in the epidemic and has dispelled the reality of whether quarantine would be something they themselves had not experienced.

Asked about making room for 72 players under a hard lockdown, Tilly said Tennis Australia “has a great deal of sympathy to support them.”

“I don’t yet know what that means, but we will definitely look at scheduling, practice courts, practice time, courts where they practice, time availability and their priority.”

Australia has allowed 1,270 foreigners to enter the country to participate in some of the world’s toughest arrival policies. Last year, Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria – the second most populous city in Australia – sank in a brutal lockdown for 111 days.

In the midst of an epidemic, many looking to the Australian Open as a preview of potential logistic challenges to host large-scale international sporting competitions, said, “I don’t think any of us had any difficulty managing this kind of Understood a huge task in delivering it. “

“I think we will provide a lot of intelligence for the Olympic Games,” he said of the logistics for the athletes.

“If we overcome it, I am much more confident at the Olympic Games that I will be able to do it as well.”

Read more at the Australian Open Upheaval here:

Australian Open turmoil raises questions for Tokyo Games

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.