Kovid! 9: Schools across Africa closed as cases of second wave


Malawi was the latest to close schools when President Lazarus Chakvera announced that they would be closed for three weeks following a sharp increase in numbers.

According to data from John Hopkins University, no cases were reported in the country for more than two months, but now they have fallen apart and one-third of the total of 353 deaths have occurred in the last two weeks.

“The time has come to implement these things for the common good,” Chakvera said in a television address on Sunday. Students in boarding schools will stay on campus until health officials determine whether it is safe for them to go home.
Government officials have died of the virus, including Malawi’s Transport Minister and another senior cabinet member, who died last week.
Zimbabwean Foreign Minister Sibiciso Moyo died on Wednesday after contracting the virus, as did South African presidential president Jackson Mountambu on Thursday.

Chakvera said that he has ordered an increase in the number of test sites and recruited additional medical personnel, noting that the facilities in the country are very few. The President said that he has directed the Finance Minister to allocate $ 23 million as soon as possible to meet the demands of the current disaster.

In neighboring Zambia, it was decided to reopen the schools on 18 January, but it has been delayed by another two weeks due to increasing numbers. They will now open on February 1, officials said.

Like Malawi, Zimbabwe is allowed to open examination classes only, but under strict Kovid-19 regulations.

Rwanda has closed schools in the capital Kigali, with the possibility of schools being closed in other areas, if more cases are confirmed, according to the country’s education minister. The cabinet ordered a total lockdown of the city on Monday.

‘Upset and angry’ parents

However, in Africa’s most populous country Nigeria, on 18 January the schools reopened despite opposition from some MPs and an increasing number of cases in the country.

The Federal Ministry of Education stated, “After extensive consultations with relevant stakeholders … the general consensus is that January 18 should be the resumption date, while parents and related institutions need to go through the COVID-19 protocol. Must ensure full compliance of… ”statement.
Nigeria on Wednesday registered 1,386 new cases and 14 deaths. Nigeria Center for Disease ControlWith, there are 476 cases in Lagos alone. Number of cases in the country 110,000 passed on Monday.

Parents there told CNN that they were concerned about the decision to send the children back to school.

Brenda Uphofo, a celebratory director in Lagos, said she opted to keep her nine-year-old son at home.

“I don’t understand why this is happening,” he said. “I am very upset and angry. It is okay for the children to drop out of school. They can hold onto their studies when safe.”

South Africa, which has the highest number of cases in Africa And is dealing with a new virus-borne strain of the virus, delaying the reopening of schools by two weeks.

“Given the pressure experienced by the health system over the past few weeks, due to the increased COVID-19 infections that have led to the second wave, the Education Council has .. delayed the reopening of both public and private schools. Has been decided., ”Regina Mhule, Minister of Basic Education, MP said in a statement.

South Africa registered 12,710 new cases on Wednesday, bringing the total number of infections to around 1.4 million. According to data from John Hopkins University, another 839 died of the virus, with another 839 fatal viruses 566 days ago.

In Malawi, hospitals have been ‘overwhelmed’ by patients and empty beds are rare. Medical supplies, including ventilators, have also been in short supply.

One state national disaster

Chakvera declared the state a national disaster HeyJanuary 12 in all 28 districts of Malawi in response to the recent spike.

He has since called for support from donors, including the United Nations.

But there has been criticism by the government over dealing with the virus. Recent Oxfam reports show that the previous government – which lost power last June after the presidential election – used 80% of the funds raised for Kovid-19 allowances. The charity warned the current government against repeating the same mistakes.

Onjani Kenny, a campaigner who is asking the government to equip hospitals with medical supplies and personal protective equipment, sought donations to help hospitals via a Facebook post on 15 January.

“Guys I love action,” he said. “We can point to things that our government is not doing right, but the fact is that people are suffering there and some people are dying. As the government does its job, you and I can chime in Are and can. ”

“I’m calling for donations so that we can buy oxygen pressure regulators – they are able to deliver oxygen to oxygen cylinders to patients,” Kenny said.

“I therefore applaud the efforts of those private citizens who are already carrying out capital campaigns to raise money to go towards these needs,” Chairman Chakera said, acknowledging the effort. “I would like to call on private sector companies to follow this example and practice my corporate social responsibility at this critical time.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.