John Hockenberry, former public radio presenter, accused of sexual misconduct – tech2.org

John Hockenberry, former public radio presenter, accused of sexual misconduct



[ad_1]

NEW YORK – A former public radio presenter in New York City who left his show earlier this year has been accused of badual misconduct by an author and some of his former colleagues.

Suki Kim said he met the former WNYC host "The Takeaway", John Hockenberry in 2014 as a guest on the radio show. Afterwards, she sent her a series of emails that made her uncomfortable and asked for the address of her house so that she could write her letters and head a subject: "I need another dose of her," she wrote in an article published on the website of the magazine New York Magazine

He left the radio show in August, saying it was time to move on.

After the accusations against media tycoon Harvey Weinstein were broken Kim decided to ask Hockenberry's former colleagues if they ever felt uncomfortable, he wrote. A former colleague, Kristen Meinzer, told her that she made unwanted advances and wrote her badually explicit notes through social media. She finally left the program.

Others reported similar behavior but did not want to be named in the story. Kim, author of "Without you, there is no one: undercover among the elite children of North Korea" had complained to the station in February.

In a statement, New York Public Radio called the accusations against Hockenberry disruptive and said the conduct described in the article "would clearly violate NYPR's labor standards and practices."

A spokeswoman for the New York Public Radio said the Hockenberry contract expired on June 30 and was not renewed. She said the company can not comment on why her contract was not renewed.

A statement from "The Takeaway" posted on Twitter said the program was disturbed by the report and takes the allegations very seriously.

Our former host, John Hockenberry, has been charged with badual harbadment: https://t.co/woBuqAMJDb

This statement is from The Takeaway staff. The full statement of our co-producers WNYC and PRI can also be found on our website at https://t.co/9vbC96oBzH. pic.twitter.com/DLOa2lDV0V

– The Takeaway? (@TheTakeaway) December 2, 2017

Hockenberry posted a statement on the website, saying he was horrified that people were I felt uncomfortable.

"Looking back, my behavior was not always appropriate and I'm sorry, I'm shocked that I made the talented people I worked with uncomfortable and the stress of putting on a big show got worse with my behavior. "

"Having to deal with my own physical limitations has given me an understanding of helplessness, and I should have been more aware of how the power I exerted over others, along with comments and inappropriate communications, could be interpreted. excuses, "said Hockenberry, who is in a wheelchair after being paralyzed in high school after a car accident.

Hockenberry did not immediately respond to The Associated Press's request for comment.

"The Takeaway" has 2.7 million weekly listeners and airs on more than 270 stations. It is hosted by Todd Zwillich now.

Hockenberry, 61, was the host of "The Takeaway" from 2008 until the beginning of this year and has won four times the Emmy Award.

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material can not be published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed.

[ad_2]
Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.