Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna has been suspended in 75 games by MLB for violating MLB's Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy, the league announced Friday.
Osuna was licensed by MLB in May after he was charged with assaulting a woman in Canada. His license had been extended several times. He is not eligible to play but he is still paid.
It is believed that the MLB interviewed the woman in question.
"My office has completed its investigation into the allegation that Roberto Osuna violated the joint domestic violence of Major League Baseball, Sexual Assault Policy and Child Abuse on May 8, 2018," the commissioner said in a statement. MLB, Rob Manfred "After reviewing all available evidence, I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Osuna violated the Policy and should be subject to disciplinary action in the form of an unpaid suspension due on August 4."
Osuna is still pending a lawsuit. He decided not to appeal the suspension.
It is retroactive until May 8, so it is eligible to return on August 4.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons spoke about the suspension before Friday's game.
"Not having a great reaction other than taking what MLB does and trusting that and living with that and letting it take its course," Gibbons said through ESPN "We knew something was coming. It took a while Fortunately, everything is resolved on both sides and everyone gets the help they need and everything goes well & # 39; & # 39 ;.
The court would not reveal if it was a case of domestic violence. It was only filed as an assault charge.
The 23-year-old appeared in 15 games this season converting nine of 10 saves.