“I have decided to step down as global ambassador to Joe Malone. When I joined the brand last year as their first male global ambassador, I produced the short film we used to launch the campaign. It won the Khushboo Foundation Virtual Awards 2020 for Best Media Campaign, ‘he tweeted on Monday.
The original commercial, titled “London Gent”, featured Boyge wandering in London’s Peckham neighborhood and featured a prominent black cast.
“His decision to change my campaign in China, using my concepts and replacing a local brand ambassador for me, was wrong, without my consent or prior notice. The film was celebrated by a personal story – showing off my hometown, including my friends and featuring my family, ”Boyega wrote.
Joe Malone issued a public apology to Boyega after resuming his commercial and reintroducing with Chinese actor Liu Haran in the new version.
We apologize for ourselves, if there is a mistake in the local execution of the John Boyega campaign. John is a great artist with great personal vision and direction. The film’s concept was based on John’s personal experiences and should not be repeated. While we immediately took action and removed the local version of the campaign, we believe it was painful and it was a crime. We honor John, and support his colleagues and fans globally. We are taking this wrong step very seriously and we are working together as a brand to move forward, ”Jo Malone said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
The “Star Wars” actor wrote, “While many brands use different global and local ambassadors wisely, trading one’s culture in a way that I can’t do anything like that.” He said, “It is back to back, but I assure you it will be dealt with fast.” I don’t have time for bullshit. We press and strengthen. Be blessed people ”
Jo Malone accepted Boyega’s resignation, saying, “We respect John’s decision and wish him the best.”