- Ivanka Trump shared a photo of her with the company’s slogan with a can of Goya beans.
- The Hispanic-owned company did so after facing backlash for its CEO praising Trump, prompting prominent conservatives to urge him to buy his products.
- Reuters noted that the post may have violated government ethics rules, which prohibit endorsing products in public office.
- Rape Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wrote in Spanish, reacting to Ivanka Trump’s tweet. The play on Goya’s slogan said: “If it’s Trump, it has to be corrupt.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Ivanka Trump posted a photo of herself with Goya beans, as people call for a boycott of the brand, but they may have violated government ethics rules by doing so.
Trump, the daughter of US President Donald Trump and one of his advisers, posted a photo of himself with a can of beans on Twitter on Tuesday.
He added Goya’s slogan as a caption, posting in both English and Spanish, that “if it’s Goya, it should be good.”
—Evanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) July 15, 2020
Goya Foods describes itself as the largest Hispanic-owned food company in the US.
But it suffered last week as its CEO, Robert Ananyu, praised President Trump, claiming that the US “truly blessed” him as a leader.
Some promised to boycott the brand, while others, in a campaign led by personalities from Fox News, promised to buy its products in response.
Ivanka Trump’s tweet has received more than 39,000 retweets and over 73,000 likes on Wednesday morning. She also shared the image on Instagram and Facebook.
But Reuters noted that the post may have violated government ethics rules that prohibit endorsing products in public office.
The US Department of Justice states that “an employee cannot use his public office for his personal benefit or for the individuals or organizations with which he is personally associated.”
“An employee’s position or title should not be used to endorse any product, service or enterprise, or to give the appearance of government approval.”
Ivanka Trump is listed as an “advisor to the president” on the White House website.
US Government Ethics did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment about the post.
President Trump on Friday tweeted supporting the company: “I LOVE @GoyaFoods!”
—Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 10, 2020
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a progressive Democrat, responded to Ivanka Trump’s tweet, writing in Spanish: “If it’s Trump, it has to be corrupt.”
—Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@ AOC) July 15, 2020