Iran warned the United States after President Donald Trump threatened to plan to avenge the assassination of top general Qasim Soleimani.
“We hope they do not make a new strategic mistake and certainly in the case of any strategic mistake, they will see Iran’s decisive response,” government spokesman Ali Rabiye said at a televised news conference on Tuesday.
On Monday, Trump promised that the response to any attack by Iran would be “” 1,000 times greater in magnitude, “after reports Tehran planned to avenge the assassination of Solimani US drone attack near Baghdad’s airport in January.
|US killing Iran’s Qasim Soleimani ‘illegal’: UN expert|
A US media report quoted unnamed officials as saying that the alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the US ambassador to South Africa was planned before the presidential election in November.
Trump said, “According to press reports, Iran may plan a US assassination, or other attack in retaliation for the terrorist attack.”
“Any attack by Iran, in any form, will coincide with an attack on Iran against the United States, which will be 1,000 times more in magnitude!”
‘Keep the world safe’
Relations between Washington and Tehran have deteriorated since Trump unilaterally withdrew from a historic international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018.
Washington is insisting on advancing an arms embargo on Iran that is beginning to re-enforce UN sanctions on Tehran, with progressively ending in October.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that Washington would prevent Iran from buying “Chinese tanks and Russian air defense systems” as a UN arms embargo against Tehran.
While the European Union and the United Nations disagreed with the US decision to pull out of an international nuclear deal in 2018 and oppose unilateral sanctions on Iran, Washington was working to “keep France safe for the world”.
“We are going to act in a way – and we have acted in a way – that will prevent Iran from purchasing Chinese tanks and Russian air defense systems and reselling Hezbollah to arms,” Pompeo said .
The Iran-backed movement Hezbollah has long been targeted by US sanctions and blacklisted as a “terrorist organization”. But it is also a powerful political player with seats in Lebanon’s parliament, where the French president wants to promote political reform.
|US soldiers injured in Iran missile attack on Iraqi targets|
The United States faced widespread opposition in a new bid to re-oppose international sanctions on Iran, which has been progressively increasing its nuclear activities since being out of agreement by Washington in 2018.
It also intends to expand UN weapons on the country ending on 18 October.
“While the European Union has taken a different decision on that [nuclear] Pompeo said that the agreement, they share our concern about the expansion of weapons.
The United States, he insisted, “will continue to defend the international republic of the Islamic Republic of Lebanon, Iraq and Syria in order to prevent the Islamic Republic of Iran from returning to its deadly activity.”
The Iranian Navy said last week that it blew up an American aircraft, which flew close to an area where military exercises were going on near the Strait of Hormuz.
The military said the three American aircraft were detected by Iran’s Air Force radar after entering the country’s air defense detection zone.