India and China ‘quickly disband’ from border impasse


Image copyright
Vikram Mishri

image Caption

Foreign Minister met on the sidelines of a meeting in Moscow

India and China have agreed to “quickly disband” from a deadlock that accused them of firing and kidnapping at a disputed border.

His foreign ministers met on Thursday and said they would ease tensions.

Soldiers of both countries, called the Line of Actual Control, clashed from time to time along the poorly delimited border.

Both sides accuse each other of wandering in their territory, and clashes sometimes become fatal.

In a joint statement, neighbors said “the current situation is not in the interest of either party”.

The statement issued by Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi said, “They agreed that border troops on both sides should continue their dialogue, disband quickly, maintain proper distance And should reduce stress. ”

He said they would expedite new measures to “maintain and enhance peace and tranquility”, but did not further explain what they would do.

There is already an agreement between the two countries that bans the use of firearms on the border.

But relations deteriorated further in recent days, with China on Tuesday accusing Indian troops of illegally crossing the border and placing “inflammatory” warning shots on patrolling troops.

India dismissed the allegation, accusing Chinese border forces of firing in the air, saying it was in violation of “Joe” agreements.

The Indian Army alerted Chinese authorities a day earlier to report that five Indian nationals had been kidnapped by Chinese soldiers from an area near the disputed border.

China later confirmed to an Indian minister that the missing citizens had been found and arrangements were being made to hand them over to the Indian authorities.

In June, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in violent clashes with Chinese forces. Local media outlets then stated that the soldiers were “beaten to death”.

The Line of Actual Control extends 3,440 km (2,100 mi). The presence of rivers, lakes, and snowfall means that line shifts may occur.

Soldiers on both sides – representing the two largest armies in the world – come face to face at many points. India has accused China of sending thousands of troops to the Galvan Valley of Ladakh, saying that China occupies 38,000 sq km (14,700 sq mi) of its territory.

India and China have previously attempted to reduce tension on the border. But several rounds of talks over the past three decades have failed to resolve disputes.

The two countries have fought only one war, in 1962, when India suffered a humiliating defeat.


‘A surprise announcement’

By Vikas Pandey, BBC News, Delhi

It is important to announce that recent times have witnessed a sharp exchange of words between the two countries.

Many analysts felt that the possibility of a limited armed conflict had increased in recent days as Delhi and Beijing accused each other of firing at the border and violating the treaty banning the use of firearms.

Therefore, the announcement comes as a surprise and shows that the backchannels talks have been successful so far.

But both countries have reached a consensus in the past and such statements do not guarantee lasting peace on the border.

Nevertheless, the latest development brings great relief for both countries which already exist on many fronts.

India is facing an alarming growth in Kovid-19 cases and a sharp contraction in the economy. For China, even temporary peace on the border means one less battle to fight in the international arena.