Any company, organization or a business is capable of standing out from the rest of the organizations in this competitive market only with the help of innovation. Through innovative ideas one can improve business processes. Innovation can also take place by entering new market after upgrading a particular product and improving the quality of the service provided. In order to become innovative, a business or an organization or a company needs to hire creative employees who will have the ability to turn innovative and creative ideas into reality.
The aptitude testis mainly used for screening potential applicants for a job. This is a process which has been practiced across many other sectors in different other companies. So, aptitude tests have become a very important as well an integral part of the overall interview process.
A vacancy in any job attracts a large number of potential applicants. So, in this case a pre-screening is required to reduce the huge number of candidates to a more manageable size and these selected candidates will then go through a more rigorous screening.
Accuracy of Aptitude Tests
When it comes to hiring, an aptitude test creates an opportunity for the companies to make a more clear and informed decision. If there are more than one applicant for the same position in a company, then in this case having a proper and a justified comparison between each applicant is very necessary. Mostly the aptitude tests are capable of assessing several factors that are necessary while selecting potential candidates. With the help of these test, a candidate’s ability to problem solve, reason and also get along with their fellow colleagues.
Apart from the interview, these tests give a clearer picture of a potential applicant to be successful in the position they are applying for. Different aptitude tests measure different qualities. The tests should be prepared keeping in mind the actual vacancy in the job. It is important to make sense in order to make sure that the skills or knowledge the companies are testing is relevant to the position that they are offering otherwise the results can go wrong. The tests should be applied correctly.
The delivery of an aptitude test needs to be considered very carefully in case of both cost, time and also in its appropriateness. Following are some of the types of tests include:
- Skills tests: these tests are usually easy tasks that are related to certain functions of the job such as data entry.
- Knowledge tests: this is designed for measuring the knowledge of an applicant about a particular aspect in a job. This test should be based on a particular topic that is relevant to the applied position of the job in order to ensure whether the applicant has the required knowledge.
- Ability tests: these tests are used to measure mental ability and these tests relate to performance levels. It is based on presenting a picture of the workplace and asking them how they would react in a particular situation.
- Personality test: the most commonly used personality test that is used for screening process mainly measures five important factors of personality like the openness to experience, extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness and also emotional stability. A personality test is mostly taken for positions like sales and it can be used for predicting performance too.
Certain advantages of aptitude tests along with the interview process are as follows:
- Aptitude tests on an overall basis very accurate in predicting the potential candidate. It helps in choosing the right and the most deserving candidate for the job, for a new hire or a promotion.
- These tests are also good for assessing a candidate’s strengths and weaknesses too which is not always possible through an interview. These tests are also capable of providing a better in-depth view of the job applicants than the interview that is very important when the selection process of the candidate is to be done. Therefore an aptitude test provides a greater insight into the applicant’s profile.
- These aptitude tests are capable of testing certain skills of the candidate which are required for the particular position they are applying for. It is necessary that the candidate feels that they are fit for the job.
Since everything has its own advantages, there are certain disadvantages as well which are as follows:
- Aptitude tests are sometimes too expensive for the administration administer or development.
- These tests must be tailored according to the different types of position in the job because each position the job will require different types of skills and theses aptitude tests should be capable of reflecting those requirements.
- Sometimes it is also necessary to know that these aptitude tests are time consuming to administer and at the risk to be kept on the other hand, time is money.
- Another very important thing to keep in mind is that the tests have to be kept current and relevant. Often job descriptions and requirements are tentative in nature and thus, these aptitude tests should also change according to the company’s requirements.
- These tests are also capable of making the applicant of the job quite apprehensive and also stressed and so the interviewer must always consider the effect these reactions will have and its consequences. Most of the time, it is thought that the applicant of the job is advised in advance that they need to take an aptitude test.
These aptitude tests are always delivered in a time controlled environment. This is often done at an employer’s premises or at a testing center which is operated any third party who will design or administer the test. It would be taken either offline based on a pen and paper or online. Nowadays, candidates go for the online exam for giving the aptitude test. There are many advantages of choosing an online based exam. It is time as well as cost convenient. A large number of applicants can be tested at one time. In short, the overall process of screening the candidates is done at a much faster rate.