How to claim your stimulus check as a dependent adult

Illustration for the article titled How to Claim Your Stimulus Check as a Dependent Adult

Photo: 24K-Production (Shutterstock)

The American Rescue Plan was become law today, which means another round of distress checks is expected will ship next week. But there is a change in the eligibility requirements for the $ 1,400 “stimulus” that is easy to overlook; Unlike the previous checks, the dependents of some age may qualify, including college students, disabled adults, and the elderly.

How can you qualify as a dependent adult?

According to Business Insider, adults who depend on another person for more than half of their expenses can claim as dependents. Previous checks were cut at age 17, but now students up to age 19, or age 24 for full-time college students, can qualify. Dependent adults can also include disabled people and retirees, provided they have a rating ratio or live with you.

As with the stimulus checks above, you must be below a certain income threshold to qualify for relief checks for yourself and your dependents. If you claim dependents, you will need adjusted gross income of up to $ 75,000 to receive full checks of $ 1,400 (joint taxpayers earning up to $ 150,000 will receive $ 2,800).

Payments will be removed, going down $ 280 for every $ 1,000 of your adjusted gross income that exceeds the qualifying threshold amount. People earning more than $ 80,000 a year (or married couples earning more than $ 160,000) will be excluded. completely of aid checks, no matter how many dependents they have.

Also, keep in mind that the person filing on behalf of the dependents will be the one who actually receives the payment from the IRS.

How to claim dependents

You can include your dependents in your Form 1040 in the middle of the first page. You will be asked to provide your Social Security number, relationship to you, and if they qualify for a child tax credit as dependent children. To find out what degree of relief you are entitled to, use this calculator.

If you have newly qualified dependents but have already filed your tax return, you can try filing an amended return, according to The New York Times. Yyou may want to wait to do it, Nevertheless, as the IRS has yet to issue formal guidance (and will likely do so after the bill is signed). It may be applicable as a refund in the following fiscal year, as with previous checks, but it is It is not confirmed yet.


Source link