House Democrats introduce ‘DeJoy Act’ to block postal service changes


A group of House Democrats introduced a bill on Friday that seeks to block the changes outlined this week in the Postmaster General. Louis DeJoyLouis DeJoy7 reasons for a time out of taxpayer funding for the US Postal Service Higher prices, longer delivery times and reduced hours are part of the postmaster general’s plan Give postal electric vehicles a fast seal of approval MORE10-year plan to reduce financial losses within the United States Postal Service.

Tuesday, DeJoy plans launched looking to increase prices for postage, provide longer delivery periods, and reduce post office hours. The changes also include raising the standard for first-class mail one day after the agency struggled to keep up with its current standard from two to three days for first-class mail and from three to five days for non-mail. local.

Under DeJoy’s plan, 70 percent of first-class mailings would take three days, while the remaining 30 percent could take up to two additional days.

In response, Rep. Raja KrishnamoorthiSubramanian (Raja) Raja Krishnamoorthi Threat from domestic violent extremists has been on the rise, time to fight it FDA signals plan to address toxic elements in baby food Bipartisan bill would prohibit lawmakers from buying and selling stocks PLUS (D-Ill.) He said The Washington Post on Friday that standard first-class change “would not be a start” for “the American people.”

He filed the Law of Envelope Delivery Judiciously on Time Throughout the Year, or the DEJOY Law.

In the invoice, Krishnamoorthi, along with six co-sponsors, seeks to prevent the Postal Service from lengthening delivery times and require that the service meet current standards.

The legislation comes after Krishnamoorthi, a member of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said CBS News that “Sending an email shouldn’t be a game of chance, and that’s what is happening with the USPS, unfortunately, right now. ”

“Unfortunately, people are starting to change some of their mail-handling habits,” he added. “So they e-mail documents and basically reduce their dependency on mail, which is a disaster in the long run.”

The congressman added that his constituents have already expressed concern to him about receiving medicines, Social Security checks and bill payments in a timely manner due to shipping delays.

During a press conference Tuesday, DeJoy said the plan “capitalizes on our natural strengths and addresses our serious weaknesses” at the Postal Service.

DeJoy, a Trump appointee, told a House panel last month that the Postal Service faces $ 188.4 billion in liabilities and that over the next 10 years the agency could lose an additional $ 160 billion.

The postmaster general and the agency generally faced increased scrutiny from lawmakers in the run-up to the 2020 presidential election, when the Postal Service received an influx of mail-in ballots amid the coronavirus pandemic.

President BidenJoe Biden The Hill’s Morning Report – Biden Changes Filibuster Republican Party Seeks to Squeeze Biden, Democrats on Border Sanders Creates New Tax Headache for Biden MORE has submitted selections to fill vacancies on the agency’s board of governors and the White House has signaled a possible change in leadership once these replacements are confirmed.

“I think we can all agree, most Americans would agree, that the Postal Service needs leadership that can and will do a better job,” said the White House press secretary. Jen psakiJen Psaki Florida school district fires teacher for medical marijuana use Fox’s Chris Wallace punches Biden for reading ‘talking points’ Democrats ask Biden to reverse employee policy on past marijuana use MORE said last month.

.

Source link