Hospitalizations Increase When Santa Barbara County Reports 21 New COVID-19 Cases | Coronavirus crisis


The California Department of Public Health reported 21 new cases of COVID-19 in Santa Barbara County on Saturday, bringing the total number of locally confirmed cases to 3,406.

That’s an increase of 660 cases from the week before, on June 27.

Saturday’s numbers are lower than they have been in recent days, but that could be due to fewer tests because Friday was the legal holiday for Independence Day.

The number of confirmed cases in the county has increased 49.1 percent since two weeks ago, when there were 2,284 confirmed cases.

The state does not provide specific geographic or demographic data for new reported cases, and the county does not provide COVID-19 updates on weekends.

Local hospitals reported 71 beds currently occupied by patients with COVID-19, with four additional suspected cases, according to the state. On Friday, the number stood at 64.

There were 21 confirmed patients in intensive care units, compared to 24 on Friday, and one suspected case.

Marian Medical Center had 47 patients, Santa Barbara Cottage Health had 23, and Lompoc Valley Medical Center had one, according to state figures.

So far, 31 coronavirus deaths have been reported in the county. One is a death at the Lompoc Federal Penitentiary Complex, which the county has not confirmed pending autopsy results. Another was announced last week without details.

Also on Saturday, the county Sheriff’s Department reported that an additional custodial assistant was found to be COVID-19 positive, according to Raquel Zick, the sheriff’s public information officer.

The department had previously reported that 21 custodial staff members had tested positive, along with four inmates.

The deputy was evaluated Wednesday as part of the department’s tests of all inmates and staff.

“The custodial assistant wore an N95 mask the last time she had contact with inmates on Tuesday,” said Zick. “She has been off days since Wednesday morning.”

As the holiday weekend began, Cottage Health infectious disease doctor Dr. David Fisk urged the community to continue to practice strict public health precautions to curb the spread of the virus.

“The predominant thing for us is to take guidance very seriously,” he told Noozhawk.

– You can contact Jade Martinez-Pogue, Noozhawk writer . (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews, and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

.