Sign up here for our daily coronovirus newsletter that you need to know, and Subscribe to our Kovid-19 podcast for the latest news and analysis.
Hong Kong is threatening to knock on the doors of residents who do not respond to officials conducting mandatory-trial blitzes, as the city seeks to end a persistent winter wave of coronovirus cases.
“The government can take legal action, including removing individuals or applying to a magistrate for a warrant and legally entering an entity,” officials said in a statement on Tuesday.
The Asian Financial Center is attempting to curb the fourth wave of the Kovid-19 transition with targeted lockdowns, which have seen officials move away from an area and restrict movement until residents receive negative results. The government has suggested that intentional tests may be conducted in some areas ranging from dense settlements to only a handful of buildings.
Hong Kong replaces second lockdown in Kowloon for Kovid Test
According to Bloomberg’s calculations, during the surprise Monday evening in the four Hong Kong districts, 17% of the 680 households did not have officers. The government said it did not find any positive cases after testing for about 1,700 residents.
Hong Kong, with a dense settlement of 7.5 million people, has remained relatively unaffected by the virus compared to other major financial centers. The city has experienced fewer than 10,500 cases and just 182 deaths since the epidemic began.
But Hong Kong, which saw cases of the virus as early as 2020 as it began to spread around the world, has suffered more waves than many other places, and now faces a protracted round of stop-start social distancing restrictions Is ending Residents and Business Owners The eagerness to end a recession caused by the epidemic after months of street protests is now being faced by what Chief Executive Officer Carrie Lam saidAmbush copy operation
Hong Kong authorities have conducted eight operations and tested about 10,000 people since 23 January, but have uncovered only 14 positive coronovirus cases. The latest six mini-lockdowns did not discover any positive cases.
Aamid repeatedly criticized that the mini-lockdown strategy was not effective, Lam defended the government’s methods on Tuesday. He stated that they were only a preventive measure among many, and that the number of confirmed cases was not the only metric of success.
“You can’t really measure the effectiveness of these operations by the number of cases identified,” Lam said in a weekly briefing before his advisory executive council meeting. “I don’t think it’s a waste of resources.”
These targeted test blitzes should not replace other efforts in tracing and testing people throughout the transmission chain, said Leung Chi-Chiu, former chairman of the Hong Kong Medical Association Advisory Committee on Communicable Diseases.
“Lockdowns and tests for 12 hours cannot detect cases in incubation,” Leung said. “It is important to avoid giving a false sense of security. That for any resident with new symptoms should be the reason for the delay in going for a retaliation, which could lead to another embarrassing outbreak. “
In his remarks on Tuesday, Lam said Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed concern about the current state of Hong Kong’s transition in a conference call last week.
“President Xi has expressed concern and concern, and it is completely justified,” Lam said. “I believe the President is very concerned. He wants to support us. “
– assisted by Jinshan Hong and John Herskowitz
()Updated with new details.)