“Mr. Cain did not need a respirator and is awake and alert,” according to the statement released Thursday.
Cain, as co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, was one of the substitutes at President Donald Trump’s June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
“I honestly have no idea where he hired him. I realize people are going to speculate about the Tulsa rally, but Herman traveled a lot last week, including to Arizona, where cases are on the rise. I don’t think there is any way to trace this to the only specific contact that caused your infection. We’ll never know, “Dan Calabrese, editor of HermanCain.com since 2012, said Thursday in a post on Cain’s website.
At least eight employees of the Trump breakthrough team who attended the Tulsa rally tested positive for coronavirus.
After interacting with several colleagues who later tested positive, all of the Trump campaign employees who attended his rally in Tulsa were quarantined the following week, CNN previously reported.
Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh told CNN that Cain did not meet Trump at the Tulsa rally.
“The search for contacts was made after the Tulsa rally, but we do not comment on the people’s medical information. Mr. Cain did not meet with the President anyway,” Murtaugh said.
Cain posted a photo of himself at the Tulsa rally, sitting among other attendees without covering his face.
Paris Dennard, photographed smiling just behind Cain in the picture on Cain’s Twitter page of the rally, told CNN that he has not been informed of Cain’s positive diagnosis or hospitalization.
Dennard, an adviser to the Republican National Committee for Black Media Affairs, said he has not been tested for coronaviruses since the Tulsa rally because “he has had no symptoms” and regularly covers his face.
As a cancer survivor, Cain, 74, is considered to be at increased risk of contracting coronavirus, according to guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In 2006, you were given a 30% chance of survival from stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to your liver. He underwent chemotherapy and surgery to remove the cancer from his liver and was declared cancer free in 2007.
The former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza announced his candidacy for the presidency in 2011 and his 9-9-9 tax reform plan gained momentum. After about seven months, he abandoned his candidacy for the Republican nomination amid allegations of sexual harassment, which he denied.
Cain was named in April 2019 as one of the Trump elections for two seats on the influential Federal Reserve Board. It withdrew from consideration in the same month after four Republican senators publicly said they would not vote to confirm it and amid concerns that their nomination hearing would resurface the harassment allegations.
This story has been updated with additional developments.
CNN’s Jeremy Diamond, DJ Judd, Sam Fossum and Donna Borak contributed to this report.