The country’s migration minister Notices Mitrachi said the process of forcing more than 12,500 men, women and children to flee the facility in Lesbos was going well, even though the coronovirus epidemic meant it was taking longer .
“It will take a few days but all the affected people will go after me to this temporary place,” he told reporters at the site, where officials, with the assistance of the army, have rushed to set up tents. “We hope to have 5,000 beds ready by the end of the day.”
Mitrachi said that Rapid Kovid-19 tests were being conducted by anyone before they were recorded to ensure that “a safe community” remains. Corrected in a former firing range within the sea view, the Replacement Camp is a response to the government’s humanitarian emergency that exploded in the now intestine-held center in Moria following the explosion last week.
A series of blasts, which began on Tuesday, ended the infamous congested facility, forcing thousands of people into the vicinity. In the chaos that killed the refugees, under heavy police guards, many have slept in temporary shelters along one side of the road leading to the island’s port capital Mytilene.
Others had taken refuge in olive groves, churches, supermarket parking lots and even a local cemetery, as officials and support groups struggled to bring water and food. The possibility of relocation to a new site has been welcomed neither by refugees, nor by locals.
Lesbos, which faces Turkey, has long been on the threshold of refugee arrival. Europe’s migrant crisis was at its peak when a million displaced Syrians landed on their shores in dinghies and rare boats at the height of the country’s civil war.
For migrants forced to wait a long time for requests to be processed, the Aegean Isle is not the promised land, when they set out on an often dangerous journey.
On Sunday, a day after the riots, police shed tears on protesters, with many refusing to enter the new site out of fear. Mitrachi insisted that those living outside would not be transferred to the mainland. “The best solution for them to step in with asylum applications is in the camp,” he said, claiming the migration policies of the right government at the center were “difficult but reasonable”.
Anticipating an increase in coronovirus cases, officials say, it is ever more important that people living in the camp are found and tested. Before Hernos, the virus was detected in 35 residents of Moria, with the Greek Minister of Migration telling reporters that “there may be 200 cases so far”.
The Greek Prime Minister in Thessaloniki, Kyrikos Mitsotakis, said that the combination of the epidemic and the migration crisis had made for “an explosive mix” and opened fire on “hyperactive asylum seekers”, hoping the destruction of Moria moved them to Athens Will go.
But he also gave optimism that the long-term abolition of human rights groups for their appalling conditions could usher in a new era for the often entangled state of the issue in Europe.
“I want to believe that this tragedy is a warning bell for all,” he said. Whatever happened, he said, a new camp would be built on Lesbos in collaboration with Europe. “I have requested that the European Union be involved in the management of the new center wherever it is [on the island]. I want to see the flag of Greece and Europe.
Athens has long complained that aside from funding, it has gained little solidarity from the 27-member bloc. “We may fail a second time as Europe to deal with the migrant crisis,” Mitsotakis said.