Francisco Lindor will earn $ 22.3 million with the Mets this year


Francisco Lindor would cost $ 22.3 million for the Mets in their final year of control before free agency.

The Mets and their star shortstop avoided arbitration on Friday by reaching a settlement on that amount. Lindor, who came into a trade last week that brought Carlos Carrasco to the Mets, was scheduled to receive $ 17.5 million last season, as pay was undone due to the epidemic. Lindor’s latest arbitration settlement is the fourth largest in MLB history, behind only Mookie Bates ($ 27 million), Nolan Arenado ($ 26 million) and Josh Donaldson ($ 23 million).

Now, it becomes a question of whether the Mets will reach a long-term deal with Lindor, 27, before he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. Lindor said during his introductory press conference that he would like possible talks to conclude before Opening Day.

It is possible that Lindor could go towards a deal that reaches or surpasses $ 300 million. The most recent mega-contract betters had a 12-year deal with Dots last summer, valued at $ 365 million.

Linder
Francisco Lindor makes shortstop.
Mets

Michael Conforto ($ 12.25 million), Edwin Diaz ($ 7 million), Brandon Nimmo ($ 4.7 million), Seth Lugo ($ 2.925 million), Dominic Smith ($ 55 million), Miguel Castro (1.6875 million) and Robert Gusselman There were also agreements. ($ 1.3 million), refraining from arbitration. The loan holdout was JD Davis, who leads an arbitration hearing.

With the Mets possibly committed to staying under the $ 210 million luxury tax threshold, every dollar counts, especially with holes in the bullpen and center field that need to be addressed. As it stands, the Mets have an estimated payroll of $ 185 million for 2021.

If the Mets were to sign the top free-agent outfielder, George Springer, on the market, it could leave them with little or no room under the luxury-tax threshold without shedding payroll.

Brad Hand was on the Mets’ radar soon after the arrival of the new regime and was there as a top option to satisfy the need for leftie relief.

According to industry sources the Mets are for Mix in Hand, but were not close to a deal on Friday, otherwise contrary to reports at the start of the day.

Hand, 30, was hired by Cleveland in November on an outright rebate, making it available to any team willing to claim for $ 10 million. The transaction took place just before Sandy Alderson took over as team president. Alderson later said that if he had come a week earlier, the Mets would have held hands. Cleveland purchased the remainder of the year on Hend’s contract, making him a free agent.

Justin Wilson, who filled the Mets’ primary lefty relief role in the past two seasons, is a free agent and is considered a failure if he signs a hand.

The Mets have a right-handed bullpen mix consisting of Diaz, Trevor May, Jeyers Familia, Dallin Betances, Castro, Brad Brach and Gusselman. It is also possible that Lugo will return to the bullpen after going into the rotation last season.

Hand was 2-1 with a 2.05 ERA and 0.773 WHIP and 16 saves for Cleveland last season. The Mets’ biggest bullpen at this point has been May, which came to $ 15.5 million on a two-year contract. There is also the possibility that there will be a two-year deal.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.