Home / World / justice suspends authorization to print weapons in 3D

justice suspends authorization to print weapons in 3D



Despite the temporary ban, weapons plans have already been published on the Defense Distributed site, on the initiative of the prototype. Cody Wilson, the organization's founder, said he intended to go to court.

On the surface, he looks like a toy. Composed of rigid ABS plastic, like the one used for Lego, and printed in 3D, the Liberator pistol works like a real one. Urgently seized by eight states, Federal Judge Robert Lasnik on Tuesday ordered the temporary suspension of the diffusion on the internet of the files of printing of guns in 3D. A first judgment must take place on August 10th. Nicknamed "ghost weapons", they have no serial number, are not registered and are undetectable even by security gates. The plans were to be published on the web this Wednesday.

»READ ALSO – 3D weapons: fantasy or reality?

"The dissemination of these files is now illegal," said Judge Lasnik. But Cody Wilson, the founder of the Texas-based Defense Distributed organization, at the Liberator's initiative, anticipated the bans and posted plans for seven pistol models as early as Friday, July 27.

Judge Robert Lasnik found in his injunction that the online distribution of these files undermines the safety of Americans. "There are 3D printers in universities and public places and there is a risk of irreparable damage," said the magistrate at the end of the one-hour hearing. "It's just crazy to give criminals the tools to print untraceable and undetectable weapons in 3D at the push of a button," said New York State Attorney Barbara Underwood. attached to the proceedings in court

Cody Wilson does not intend to let himself be. "I intend to go to court," he told Wired. "Americans have the unquestionable right to share this information."

Undetectable plastic guns "banned for 30 years"

The creation and publication of these weapons plans were made possible as a result of an agreement in June between the government and Cody Wilson. The 30-year-old is described as "crypto-anarchist". On the homepage of his website is indicated: "August 1, 2018: the era of downloadable weapons officially begins."

Cody Wilson had already challenged a ban on downloading issued by the Obama administration. In 2013, the association published instructions for downloading and mounting the pistol. A YouTube video of what appears to be the first live shot of a handgun created with a 3D printer was also released. After this publication, the US State Department ordered Cody Wilson to stop broadcasting the plans. He accused him of violating the international arms regulation, which governs the export of defense equipment. According to Cody Wilson, the files had already been downloaded almost a million times. After a long court battle, the young man was forced to surrender …. until the agreement in June 2018 with the government authorizing him to publish plans and designs in all forms.

»READ ALSO – United States: a pistol created with a 3D printer

The eight states and the District of Colombia have accused the government of having acted arbitrarily by concluding this agreement. In appealing to federal justice, Washington State Attorney Bob Ferguson pointed out that the Trump administration has so far provided no valid explanation for its decision of June.

The embarrassment of the White House is such that Donald Trump himself said Tuesday, before the court decision is rendered, that the sale of plastic guns had in his eyes "not much sense." The US president said he addressed the issue with the NRA, the powerful lobby of arms in the United States, which has itself split a statement recalling that "undetectable plastic guns have been banned for 30 years." About 30,000 people die each year from firearms in the country.

.


Source link