France Approves Rwanda Massacre Transfer of suspect to UN Tribunal | Rwanda


Felician Kabuga has been charged with fighting genocide and crimes against humanity, killing more than 800,000 ethnic slums.

France’s top appeals court ruled on Wednesday that Felician Kabuga, the financier of the Rwandan genocide, would be transferred to a UN tribunal in Tanzania to stand trial on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity.

UN prosecutors accused the former tea and coffee tycoon of insolvency and importing a large number of machets for killing a large number of Tutsi and moderate Hutus for ethnic Hutu fighters in Rwanda during a 100-day period in 1994 .

He was also accused of setting up the radio television Mille Collins station, broadcasting propaganda against the ethnic Tutsi minority, as well as training and equipping an armed group that led the murder spree.

Kabuga was close to former President Juvenal Habarimana, whose death when his plane was shot down over Kigali provoked a 100-day massacre. Kabuga’s daughter married Harbarimna’s son.

Kabuga’s arrest in Paris in May ended a maneuver that had lasted for more than 20 years. He has called the allegations “lies”, including genocide and incitement to genocide.

His lawyers said that at 87 he was too weak to move abroad, especially during a dangerous coronovirus epidemic. French courts attribute his age to 84 years.

Kabuga’s legal team also argued that French law violated the constitution by failing to allow an international arrest warrant to be fully investigated.

In June, a French court said that Kabuga should conduct a trial in the mechanism for the International Criminal Tribunal (MICT) in Tanzania, which when formally closed in 2015, duties of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) Handled.

Kabuga’s lawyers cited the decision as saying that what he said was a threat to his poor health and favor with the UN tribunal.

But de Cassation, France’s highest appeal court for criminal cases, disagrees on Wednesday, meaning France will have a month to hand over the confession to MICT.

Until his arrest, Kabuga was the most high-profile fugitive sought by the United Nations Tribunal.

Count seven

Lawyer Emanuel Elite said, after Wednesday’s ruling, the defense team would ask the MICT that Kabuga be transferred to the Hague instead of Arusha “because there would be a better defense of his rights in the Hague”.

During a hearing before the Court de Cassation, another Kabuga lawyer, Louis Borr, claimed that his client would not receive proper medical treatment in Tanzania for conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and leukorrhosis – an incurable disease that would impair physical and cognitive abilities. Erases it.

Kabuga was indicted by the ICTR in 1997 on seven counts, all of which are denied.

Rwanda has said that it wants to try to see Kabuga through its courts.

However, transferring jurisdiction from MICT would require a decision from the UN Security Council, according to MICT prosecutor Serge Brammertz and The Hague is also a coronovirus infection hotspot where more restrictions were imposed this week.

Commenting earlier this month after Kabuga’s detention in May, President Paul Kagame said the arrest could be seen on national television because those who gave him asylum did not want the aged fugitive’s death Be with their hands.

Rwanda executed 22 people convicted for their role in the conflict before ending the death penalty in 2007, a move that facilitated the extradition of suspects from other countries to their jurisdiction.

Between 2005 and 2012, some 12,000 popular tribunals known as “gakakas” tried to convict two-thirds of them, with nearly 2 million people tried.

Suspects of the Rwandan genocide have also been tried and sentenced in European courts, particularly in Belgium and France.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.