‘Fortnite’ launches Marvel’s ‘Nexus War’ but not on Apple devices



Published: August 27, 2020 at 9:14 pm ET

Epic Games Inc. launched a new season of its popular “Fortnite” game Thursday with a Marvel theme.
Epic game

Epic Games Inc. launched Wolverine and Dr. Doom in “Fortnite” on Thursday, but fans of popular videogames playing on Apple and Android devices might not know it.
The legal battle between “Fortnite” publisher Epic Games and tech giant Apple Inc. in the first major outcome for consumers caught in Royale’s crossfire.

AAPL

Alphabet & Inc

GOOGL

GOOG

Google, the new “Nexus Nexus” season of “Fortnite” will not be available in one of their App Stores. While devices running on Google’s Android operating system can download updates directly from Epic, a new season featuring Walt Disney Company characters

The district

Marvel Comics will not be available at all on Apple devices.

Earlier this month, Epic and Google sued Apple and Google in federal court in Northern California, alleging the iPhone maker and search engine giant engaged in “monopoly” dealings with their App Store. “Fortnite” was booted from Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store, respectively, after Epic’s unauthorized payment system was added, which sided the tech giants’ 30% commission on in-app purchases.

Also read: Will Accelus Heel be the videogame for Apple and Google?
The 350 million registered players of “Fortnite” will not be able to access new versions of the game on any Apple product, but can fight against the planet-destroying villain Galactus on a console like Microsoft Corp.

Msft

Xbox, Sony Corp. Of

SNE

Playstation and Nintendo Company Limited

NTDOY

Switches, as well as non-Apple personal computers. Apple users who already have the game can continue playing the current version, but will not be able to receive updates, and those interested in downloading “Fortnite” for the first time will run out of luck.
While smaller videogame developers have been on hold for years about Apple and Google’s commissions, the privately held epic – valued at over $ 17 billion – is the largest to take on both, which is also legally a good one. May offer. As lost revenue. According to market researcher Sensor, in almost the entire month of August, “Fortnite” has spent $ 19.3 million through the App Store and Google Play, combined with $ 52.5 million in July and $ 58.3 million in June. Tower Inc.
This is not a total loss for Epic, however. The absence of “Fortnite” can push players to the PC and its native Android app, where Epic can collect 100% of the fees.

On Monday, a federal judge in California said Apple could not block Epic from accessing its developer tools, including the Unreal Engine, but refused to force Apple to put “Fortnite” back in the App Store and Suggested that Epic take the payment out of itself. Games to re-enter the App Store.
For more: Judge says Apple can’t prevent ‘Fortnite’ creator from using its developer tools
An Apple spokesperson told Marketwatch in a statement, “If Epic takes the steps the judge has recommended, we will gladly welcome ‘Fortnite’ to iOS.” “We look forward to making our case in court in September.”
Epic did not immediately respond to an email message seeking additional comment. In an update to his blog post about the battle with Apple, Epic said: “Apple is stopping ‘Fortnite’ updates and new installations on the App Store, and has stated that they are developing ‘Fortnite’ for Apple devices “Fortnite”, the newly released Chapter 2 – Season 4 update (v14.00), will not be released on iOS and macOS on August 27th. ”

The next hearing in the case is scheduled for 28 September via Zoom

ZM

.

    .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.