Folk singer Arlo Guthrie announced that he was retiring from performing


(Newser)
– You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant – but it appears that we have seen what Arlo Guthrie told us about the person. In a lengthy post on his Facebook page and website, the 73-year-old folk singer announced on Friday that he was retiring from performing immediately. He canceled several shows planned across the country for the next year and said that he would not be booking any more as per AP. “It’s been more than 50 years working a great pastime, but I reached the difficult decision that touring and stage shows are no longer possible,” he said in the statement, “Fishing Fishing.” Guthrie did not respond to queries on emails and phone messages, but indicated in his statement that health issues played a major role. He said he had suffered two strokes in recent years, including one severe, which kept him hospitalized for several days last year.

The son of folk music stalwart Woody Guthrie rose to fame overnight with the release of “Alice’s Restaurant Massacre” in 1967, a hilarious 18-minute talk about how to keep him out of the military during Vietnam Thanksgiving Day 1965. Was arrested War. He has recorded more than 30 albums, written several children’s books and occasionally appeared on TV shows and films, including the 1969 film “Ellis’s Restaurant”. Guthrie, who had refused to play “Alice’s Restaurant Massacre” to audiences for years, planned to perform it on next year’s show. In July he released a new song, Stephen Foster’s “Hard Times Less Again No More,” and hinted on Friday. He said that retiring from the stage does not mean he will leave completely. “In fact, I hope to be a thorn in favor of a new administration very soon,” he said in reference to President Trump. (Read more Arlo Guthrie stories.)

    .

Leave a Reply