Five people infected with meat-eating bacteria from Long Island Sound


Connecticut health officials are warning residents after an infection caused by the meat-eating bacteria found in Long Island Sound.

Five patients have been diagnosed with a rare infection in the state called Vibrio Vulnicus, Which can result in intensive care, organ amputation and necrotizing fasciitis – also known as meat-eating bacteria – according to the Connecticut Department of Health.

The state’s epidemiologist for the Department of Health, Dr. Matthew Cartter said, “Identification of these five cases in two months is very important.” “this suggests Vibrio Bacteria can be present in saline or saltwater or near the Long Island Sound, and people should be cautious. ”

Long Island Sound - seen from Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut - where at least one infection occurred.
Long Island Sound seen from Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut, where at least one infection originatedGetty Images / iStockphoto

Health officials filed a new case in July and four in August, among all adults between 49 and 85 years of age. In comparison, Connecticut reported a total of seven cases between 2010 and 2019.

According to the Federal Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibrio Bacteria have only one gene which usually causes infection from raw or undercooked shellfish.

Very rare Vibrio Vulnicus If the bacteria live in an infected conch, or saltwater, then exposure to an open wound can cause a deadly disease.

The CDC has recently warned anyone with recent wounds for surgery, piercing or tattooing people to stay out of saltwater.

They recommend covering any wounds with waterproof bandages if there is a chance that they may be in contact with seawater, and if they are then to thoroughly wash the area with soap and water.

With post wires

    .