A controversial video that contained misleading information on coronoviruses allowed millions of views to be viewed before being pulled from Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
The video was produced by right-wing media outlet Breitbart. It depicts a group of people wearing white lab coats – calling themselves “America’s Frontline Doctors” – while holding a press conference outside the Supreme Court in Washington, US, claiming the people in the video The anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine is a treatment. For Kovid “and to slow the spread of coronavirus” you don’t need a mask.
“There is a cure for this virus, it’s called hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and zithromax,” one of the video claims is a woman. “You don’t need a mask, there’s a cure.”
The claims are contrary to the advice of public health officials to prevent the spread of the virus.
Last month, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that it had terminated the authorization of emergency use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, saying it “was not likely to be effective in treating Kovid-19.”
Masks are widely considered to be a reliable security measure that helps reduce the spread of the virus.
According to NBC News reporter Brandi Zadrozny, as of late Monday night, the video had viewed 20 million times on Facebook.
A Facebook spokesperson said: “We have removed this video for sharing inaccurate information about the treatment and treatment of Kovid-19.”
Facebook has been battling Coronavirus misinformation on its platform since January, but now there are many examples of it going viral after its removal.
President Donald Trump shared several versions of the video with his 84 million Twitter followers before he was taken down, even though his own administration recommended people wear masks.
A Twitter spokesperson said the tweet in the video violates its Kovid-19 misinformation policy and is taking action.
YouTube said that the video was met with the bar to remove as it claimed a guaranteed cure for Kovid-19. “Since the onset of the epidemic, we have made clear policies against Kovid-19 misinformation and are committed to providing timely and useful information at this critical time, ”said a spokesperson.
Although tech firms said they had removed the video, its clipping was still present on WhatsApp and other social media platforms on Tuesday morning.
America’s Frontline Doctors launched a website on 15 July. The group includes some doctors and some who are part of the anti-vaccination movement.
Dr. Simone Gould, the group’s leader, is allegedly a Trump supporter who advocated the use of hydroxychloroquine on Conservative talk radio and podcasts. Gould has also spoken out against shelter-in-place measures and other measures designed to slow the spread of Kovid-19 because coronoviruses have “no scientific basis that the average American should be concerned about”.
In the video, she says, “Americans run and are caught in fear at this time.” “We are not caught by the virus as much as we fall down from the spider web of fear. That spider web is all around us and it is compressing us, and it affects the lives of the American people, American society and the American people. Risking. Economy. It makes no sense. “
Breitbart did not immediately respond to CNBC when asked about the removal of the video by Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
This is the latest incident of coronavirus misinformation spreading on social media platforms like wildfire. Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates told CNBC that lies have a tendency to spread faster on social media than facts.
Gates said in an interview with CNBC’s Andrew, “When you let people communicate, you have to deal with the fact that some of the wrong things that are too titillating can really spread very quickly. And We’ve always seen that with T.K. ” Ross Sorkin which aired on “Squawk Box” on Tuesday.
Platforms are also failing to remove racist, homophobic and abusive language content from their platforms as some have demanded.
Twitter is currently facing a 48-hour “walkout” for handling anti-Semitic tweets posted from the account of British rap star Willie.
Several posts from Willie’s account were removed by the San Francisco-headquartered social media firm for violating Twitter’s “hateful conduct policy”, but others have been discarded.
Some of the people removed remained on the platform for about 12 hours, resulting in public backlash against the artist and Twitter.