US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is set to identify the transaction covered by the order, which begins in 45 days.
Below is a list of some of Tencent’s largest US and international investments:
United States of america
* Tesla Inc. (TSLA.O): Tencent bought 5% of the electric vehicle manufacturer in 2017 for $ 1.78 billion. Tesla’s Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk called Tencent “Tesla’s investor and advisor”.
* Riot Games: Tencent bought a majority stake in the Los Angeles-based “League of Legends” game developer in 2011, and took it wholly in 2015.
* Activation Blizzard Inc. (ATVI.O): Tencent has a minority stake in the owner of the “Call of Duty” franchise. Tencent launched “Call of Duty Mobile” last year and saw 45 million downloads in the United States, Tower sensor data showed.
* Epic Games: Tencent acquired a minority stake in 2012.
* Snap Inc. (SNAP.N): Tencent bought 12% of the messaging app operator in 2017.
* Reddit Inc: The social media platform raised $ 300 million in a Tencent-led funding round in 2019 resulting in a market valuation of $ 3 billion.
* Spotify Technology SA (SPOT.N): Swedish music streaming firm and Tencent music entertainment group (TME.N) Bought minority bets in a second ahead of the former 2018 stock market listing in New York.
* Universal Music Group: French media group Vivendi SA (VIV.PA) Said in 2019 that it finalized 10% of sales of the world’s largest music label to a Tencent-led consortium with the option to buy 10% more by January 2021 on a par value basis. The deal gave Tencent more access to American artists such as Taylor Swift and Kanye West.
* US listed firms: Tencent owns stakes in Bilibili Inc. (BILI.O), Sogou Inc. (SOGO.N), Huya Inc. (HUYA.N), Douyu International Holdings Limited (Are you), JD.com Inc. (JD.O), Pindoduco Inc.PDD.O), WhatsApp Holdings Limited (VIPS.N), Nio Inc. (NIO.N) And Futu Holdings Limited (FUTU.O).
Reporting by Pei Li; Editing by Christopher Cushing