After a two-week investigation, the FAA has apparently decided that all is going well with the SpaceX Starship interplanetary rocket test program despite the fact that its last two rockets shattered while attempting to land at the company’s test facility in Boca Chica, Texas. “The SN9 vehicle failed within the limits of the FAA’s safety analysis,” the FAA said in a statement to CNN. “His failed landing and explosion did not endanger the public or property.” SpaceX CEO Elon Musk responded by breaking his self-imposed exile from Twitter and tweeting that there are “good chances to fly this week!” The launch of SN10 and the next attempt to land the silo-like rocket could happen on Monday.
The FAA delayed the launch of the SN9 due to a paperwork issue with the previous launch. That upset Musk, who criticized the FAA’s oversight. After SN9 exploded, the agency said it would oversee SpaceX’s investigation and get to the “root cause” of the spectacular flaws. The SN9 crash occurred after one of the two rockets needed to land the spacecraft failed to ignite. Musk and his engineers had already said they should have ignited all three rockets, confirm two on fire, and put out the third during the descent.