Meghan Markle wore earrings given to her by the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, amid mounting criticism for the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. The times has reported.
The Duchess of Sussex wore the jewels to a state dinner during a royal tour of Fiji on October 23, 2018, and again at Buckingham Palace a few weeks later.
Khashoggi was assassinated on October 2 and reports of his death began to appear around October 7.
Already on October 9 The New York Times reported that Turkish officials were blaming Saudi leaders for Khashoggi’s murder, and that the crown prince, known as MBS, was among those who were said to have denied the allegations.
The revelations have emerged just days before Meghan and Harry’s revealing interview with Oprah Winfrey airs on Sunday, March 7.
Meghan wore the chandelier earrings to a state dinner at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva, Fiji, on October 23, 2018, during a 16-day tour that also included Australia, Tonga and New Zealand.
At that time, the royal correspondents asked Kensington Palace where the earrings came from. Reporter Emily Andrews posted on Twitter: “The mystery of Meghan’s earrings … all KP will say is that they are ‘borrowed’.
“Of whom, they won’t tell. Most likely the Queen. It’s quite frustrating when earlier in the day they’re happy to say jewels that she and Prince Charles have given them …”
The crown prince gave the earrings to Meghan before their wedding in May 2018, after Queen Elizabeth II had lunch with him in March.
There is no suggestion that Meghan has met the crown prince in person.
The times reported that palace staff in London were concerned upon noticing the earrings and alerted their counterparts on the royal tour, who chose not to raise the issue until the couple returned to Britain.
Meghan wore the jewelry again at an event for Prince Charles’ 70th birthday at Buckingham Palace on November 14.
US intelligence agencies have concluded that MBS ordered Khashoggi’s assassination, according to a declassified report released last week.
Meghan may not have come across such an assessment when she wore the earrings, but the allegations against the Saudi leadership were widely reported at the time.
Jeremy Hunt, then British Foreign Secretary, made a statement before the House of Commons the day before the Fiji dinner, in which he said that Khashoggi “had suffered a violent death and the Saudi foreign minister has described it. like murder. “
Hunt confirmed that Liam Fox, then secretary for international trade, had canceled an appearance at a conference in Riyadh.
The foreign secretary questioned Saudi Arabia’s official version of events and told parliament: “The government condemns the killing of Khashoggi in the strongest terms.”
He added: “I will frankly tell this House that the claim that Mr. Khashoggi was killed in a fight does not amount to a credible explanation. It remains an urgent need to establish exactly what happened on October 2 and after.
Meghan and Saudi Arabia
The times notes that Meghan was photographed with Saudi women’s rights activist Loujain al-Hathloul in October 2016, after she began dating Prince Harry, but before the public found out about their relationship.
The couple met at the One Young World Summit in Ottawa, Canada, where Meghan was a counselor, and they did a photoshoot together to Vanity fair.
Hathloul, who campaigned for women’s right to drive, was arrested and sent to jail in Saudi Arabia four days before Meghan and Harry’s wedding in May 2018. The times reported.
She was released last month, but her family said she had been tortured and still faces a travel ban and parole.
After the summit, Meghan wrote on her old lifestyle blog. The tig: “One Young World invites young adults from around the world who are actively working to transform the socio-political landscape by being the common good.
“They are delegates who speak out against human rights violations, environmental crises, problems of gender equality, discrimination and injustice. They are the change.”
“Building compassion around the world”
The claims about the earrings came to light at the same time as the palace sources reported. The times on historic allegations of intimidation against the Duchess.
A spokesperson for Meghan said: “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been bullied and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.
“She is determined to continue her work creating compassion around the world and will continue to strive to set an example by doing what is right and doing what is good.