A fire in a high-rise apartment building in Midtown killed an elderly husband and wife early Saturday, authorities said.
The fire broke out in the couple's apartment on the ninth floor of River House, a 27-story cooperative on East 52nd Street, near FDR Drive, around 5:20 a.m., police said.
An 85-year-old woman, discovered inside with severe burns, was pronounced dead onstage. Her 89-year-old husband was rushed to NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was also pronounced dead.
Three firefighters were taken to NYU Langone Medical Center, two with serious but not life-threatening injuries, and one with minor injuries, the FDNY said.
Two other firefighters refused to receive medical attention.
It is believed that the fire was an accident caused by a cigarette, police sources said.
The River House, in Art Deco style, houses the exclusive River Club. The current sales prices for the units there range from $ 3 million to $ 14 million, according to the StreetEasy real estate site.