In response to the $5 million, designated for the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak response, misplaced as a consequence of fraud and corruption, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) expressed their outrage and apologies in a current badertion:
IFRC has zero tolerance for fraud and is dedicated to full transparency and accountability to our companions and the communities we stand with. This fraud should not in any manner diminish the large braveness and dedication of hundreds of volunteers and workers throughout the Ebola response who labored tirelessly to avoid wasting numerous lives and badist households.
Red Cross volunteers performed a important function in ending the West Africa Ebola outbreak. Teams of volunteers supplied therapy and care and took duty for burying the illness’s victims, stopping as many as 10,500 further circumstances.
The West African Ebola operations have been among the many most advanced in current humanitarian historical past. In response to the lethal outbreak, IFRC and different humanitarian organizations quickly established and expanded places of work, deployed workers, and procured vital stockpiles of medical and operational provides.
Transparency International has since requested that humanitarian organizations publish audit reviews of Ebola operations following its warning that the inflow of funds into the area would imply that response efforts have been particularly susceptible to fraud and corruption. As a part of IFRC’s dedication to transparency and accountability greatest observe, IFRC has complied with this request.
IFRC investigations uncovered:
- Likely collusion between former IFRC workers and staff of a financial institution in Sierra Leone that led to a possible monetary lack of 2.13 million Swiss francs.
- Over- and faux billing by a customs clearance service supplier in Guinea which led to an estimated lack of 1.17 million Swiss francs. Two further investigations into additional fraud allegations are presently underway.
- These circumstances observe earlier reported investigations in Liberia that uncovered proof of fraud badociated to inflated costs of aid objects, payroll and cost of volunteer incentives, resulting in an estimated 2.7 million Swiss francs loss, in addition to a 2016 investigation into procurement non-compliance in Sierra Leone.
IFRC is dedicated to holding all these concerned in any type of fraud to account, and to reclaiming all misappropriated, diverted, or in any other case illegally taken funds.
- In Sierra Leone, IFRC is working with the Anti-Corruption Commission to badyze and legally pursue any individuals concerned within the doubtless collusion.
- In Guinea, IFRC is working with authorities within the nation and elsewhere to pursue the best authorized plan of action.
- In Liberia, IFRC is working with the Anti-Corruption Commission to badyze and legally pursue any individuals concerned.
In all circumstances, IFRC is ready to waive all authorized immunities and privileges to make sure any workers concerned are held to account.
With regards to the 2015 investigation of procurement non-compliance in Sierra Leone, IFRC instantly requested the termination of the contract in query and oversaw a brand new procurement course of with further compliance oversight.
These circumstances have been uncovered on account of IFRC’s proactive strategy to searching for out and ending any fraud, corruption or negligence inside our humanitarian operations, irrespective of the place they could happen. Since 2014, IFRC has launched a raft of reforms to root out and finish any cases of fraud and corruption and improve a tradition of transparency and danger administration inside IFRC operations.
Following the above investigations, IFRC has additionally put in place a strengthened ‘triple defence’ prevention framework to guard in opposition to fraud and corruption in high-risk operations.
This framework establishes new checking and enforcement measures at every line of fraud prevention defence. These new measures embody money spending limits in high-risk settings, early deployment of skilled auditors as a part of the primary wave of emergency operations arrange, necessary fraud prevention coaching for employees being deployed, the creation of an Audit and Risk Commission of the IFRC Governing Board, and the institution of a devoted and impartial inner investigation operate.
More details about IFRC’s ‘triple defence’ framework in opposition to fraud and corruption is offered right here.
Despite the troublesome circumstances which may be uncovered, IFRC is not going to waiver from pursuing and persevering with to hunt out and finish fraud or corruption inside Ebola operations and world wide, and can proceed to badist National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to reply in advanced humanitarian settings.