DACA changes are temporary, Trump administration officials say


The administration announced on Tuesday that it would limit the renewal to deferred action for childhood arrivals, which would shield uninhabited immigrants from the United States who were children from deportation to one year instead of the usual two. Are, and do not accept their applications.

The decision comes more than a month after the Supreme Court blocked Trump’s attempt to end the program.

In an interview with NPR, Acting Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli called the move an “interim action”, but avoided questions about whether the administration would eventually end DACA.

“If we had a final point, we would have already implemented it, but we are going to seriously go through another important process that the Supreme Court expected and deeply consider all those factors. Cuccinelli Said that identified and obeyed that order.

Earlier this month, a federal judge in Maryland said the administration should start accepting new applications for DACA. The ruling – and a follow-up hearing last Friday – has been weighed in by the administration’s latest move.

During a House hearing on Wednesday morning, Democratic lawmakers stopped a senior US citizenship and immigration service official over the DACA ruling a week after the Supreme Court issued its order.

USCIS deputy director of policy Joseph Adalo, who is currently accusing the agency of processing DACA applications, said he was not part of the decision, instead of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf’s Tuesday memorandum on the matter Were working

“Mr. Adlow, I understand that you do not agree with the decision of the Supreme Court, but do you believe that Supreme Court compliance is an option?” Democratic Representative Pramila Jaipal of Washington asked Adlow.

“Supreme Court compliance is not an option, however, the mandate was not entered until last week,” Adlo said.

Jaipal repeatedly asked whether Adlo had consulted with the Department of Homeland Security Leadership or the White House about the memo.

“The memo was not issued by me. I would defer to Acting Secretary Wolf,” Adlo said, later admitting that negotiations had taken place, but he was not consulted on the memo. Adlo said the agency had placed applications, determining the next stage.

“You don’t get to decide whether you are going to follow the order of the Supreme Court or not. You have a month when the Supreme Court has decided to change your processing applications and ensure that You comply with that order. You have not. ” Did that, ”said Japayal.

Later in an exchange with Rep. Lou Corry of California, Adlo said that USCIS will issue additional guidance in the coming days on how we will respond to every type of application.

USCIS is facing budget shortfalls, resulting in nearly 70% of employees receiving bogus notices.

USCIS, which is primarily fee funded, informed Congress in May of its projected budget shortfall. The agency typically continues most operations during funding, such as last year’s government shutdown. But during the epidemic, the agency suspended its personal services, including all interviews and some naturalization ceremonies.

The Kovid-19 Relief Bill released by the Senate this week includes a $ 1.2 billion loan from the Treasury Department for USCIS.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.